Logistics Global Projects Lead
Analytical, process and systems oriented professional with 5+ years work experience to manage the delivery of life altering inputs to over 100,000 farmers across Kenya.
Kampala, Kigali, or Nairobi
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job.
Our vision for 2020 is to improve the lives of more than 1 million farm families by delivering exemplary services to their doorsteps. To achieve this, One Acre Fund must grow in both scale and complexity – and we need additional high performing staff members to continue our strong growth trajectory. Working with our Logistics team presents the opportunity to build upon our strong operational foundations, extend our geographic reach, and explore new ways to impact our well-established network of thousands of farm families.
Distribution is fundamental to the core model of One Acre Fund and the logistics team works specifically to enable this cutting edge, cost-efficient, and professional rural delivery system. The Logistics Global Projects Lead will be an integral part of the team that delivers millions of kilograms of goods each year directly to hundreds of thousands of farm families across East Africa. Your work will have a tremendous impact on the organization’s key mission of serving the small-holding farmer. Responsibilities will include:
- Leading projects of strategic importance to the department. This could include projects like:
- Optimizing how we manage our fleet or storage practices.
- As we increase market penetration in our core countries, we are stretching the locally available logistics infrastructure. It’s critical that we use warehousing and trucking optimally in order to support our rapid growth.
- Designing and implementing a system for evaluating CapEx investments like truck purchases or warehouse builds.
- As our logistics operation becomes increasingly sophisticated, it may make sense to vertically integrate our operation, and we need solid methods for evaluating and making these decisions.
- Researching and developing tech solutions for managing inventory during distributions.
- We keep delivery costs extremely low by aggregating demand and setting up mobile market points during our distribution window. Our field team is continuing to innovate on ways to add more clients and push more life-changing products through these distribution channels and we need to leverage technology to support these innovations.
- Developing scalable policies and procedures to enable our program model to succeed within our core countries and in new markets. This could include projects like:
- Improving and standardizing our inventory data management systems.
- Working with our government relations teams to develop a library of policies and best practices related to inventory disposal and repackaging.
- Developing and monitoring our standards for inventory shrink.
- Improving analytics and efficiency in our logistics operation. This could include:
- Presenting cross-country logistics efficiency KPIs measuring holding cost, transport cost, etc.
- Building out analytical tools to streamline decision-making around projections and inventory allocations.
- The Global Projects Lead will be responsible for both content development and rollout through in-country teams. Travel around East Africa may be required to implement projects and monitor adherence to policies.
- While the majority of this role will focus on global projects and rollout, the Global Projects Lead may also support country operations at peak activity time. This could include short-term secondment to a country team to:
- Support input distribution where we coordinate last-mile delivery to over 1,500 unique delivery points across our core countries.
- Build and manage a team of warehouse and logistics professionals. Average team size is about 10 full time employees and up to 100 seasonal employees.
- Research a network of 3rd party service providers including transportation, warehousing, and input suppliers.
- Manage logistics data and inventory flows.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 5+ years of work experience including at least 1-2 years of people management experience. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encourage to apply:
- Must possess an appreciation for the challenges of logistics in a developing economy with an understanding of how the industry functions.
- Strong work experiences with demonstrated leadership and management experience. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience (e.g. starting a program in a developing country, leading a conference, starting a business,).
- Experience in supply chain, logistics, or other operational management required. Development sector experience is an asset but not required.
- Strong analytical skills – ability to quickly review, synthesize, analyze, and communicate data (applied mathematics background required).
- A systems engineer with a flare for supply chain is ideal.
- Creativity and strong problem solving skills.
- A keen understanding of how to work with suppliers and build relationships.
- Experience within an entrepreneurial environment desired.
- Top-performing educational background (include GPA/class marks); related Master’s Degree is an asset, but not strictly required.
- We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- Expertise in strategic forecasting, process development, project planning and analysis desired.
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role.
- Language: Fluent English required. French desired.
Preferred Start Date
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with fast raises for performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placement in developing nations.
Health insurance, immunizations, flight, room and board.
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.
Back to top