Nairobi, Kenya or Kigali, Rwanda
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job.
The Legal Counsel will be part of the Legal Department and work closely with country and departmental leadership to identify and manage legal risk for One Acre Fund. The Legal Counsel will collaborate with other teams to streamline our processes, including contract review and negotiation for procurement and distribution of inputs to our farmers. Counsel will also provide legal and regulatory advice to our innovations teams on new products and programs. As part of our growing Legal Department, the Legal Counsel will also advise on legal strategy, structure and compliance issues across countries.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
As a growing organization, we are ready to hand over significant responsibility for specific, well-defined strategic initiatives to address risk as well as day-to-day management of legal transactional work to the person in this role. As such, we are seeking an exceptional lawyer with 5+ years of work experience, and a long-term career interest in international development. This professional will serve in a career-track position that combines transactional work with legal advising in a fast-paced entrepreneurial work environment.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, the Legal Counsel will be responsible for the following:
- Provide legal advice on regulatory and legal matters for One Acre Fund’s field operations and innovations
- Review and draft major contracts as well as develop templates and standard commercial agreements across our different geographical and operational areas of work
- Support contract negotiation and collaborate with business teams on developing effective relationships with contractors and vendors
- Perform due diligence and risk assessment on all major transactions
- Maintain relationships with outside counsel, vendors and other organizational partners
- Advise on and institute systems for external compliance
- Developing internal policies and standard operating procedures for managing legal and operational risk across different areas of business and operations
- Assist with general legal tasks as needed to meet departmental and organizational priorities
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking an extraordinary candidate who will help us take the organization to the next levels of impact and scale. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 3-5+ years of legal work experience.
- Law degree from a top university, admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction.
- Highly professional and commercial approach to problem-solving.
- Proven ability to manage complex transactional work in a corporate, non-profit or in-house practice setting.
- Ability to drive forward and co-ordinate concurrent projects and tasks while managing competing demands.
- A strong team work ethic and excellent people skills.
- Demonstrated experience with client interaction in a law firm or in-house.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including both verbal and written communication.
- A willingness to commit to living in an East African capital city with frequent travel to rural areas for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track position with potential to grow into an East Africa or US-based management role.
- The ideal candidate will have at least one year demonstrated experience working in the developing world, although this is not a strict requirement.
- Travel: while based in Nairobi or Kigali, this position will require some travel within East Africa.
- Language: English required, working proficiency in French is a plus.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible.
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Health insurance, immunizations, flights, housing
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Back to top