Exceptional MBA student (or student pursuing a similar degree) interested in a career in International Development.
New York City
One Acre Fund is seeking strong candidates for a summer internship in our New York office. This is a unique opportunity to get exposed to the workings of a growing social enterprise. One Acre Fund relies on grant funding to support our operational deficit, but also takes on small amounts of debt in order to finance purchases of agricultural inputs. The internship would be supporting the Investor Relations team at One Acre Fund, which manages the organization’s debt needs, searches for new potential lenders, and does various cash flow modeling to inform borrowing decisions.
Responsibilities: Support the Investor Relations Team with financial modeling, research and outreach to new lenders, with other analytical project support, as needed.
- Financial Modeling
- One Acre Fund uses various excel models to forecast cash flows and debt needs into the future (1 month – 10 + years). Your main task will be working with existing models to a) improve them and make them more efficient b) update models with new assumptions as we get them
- Assist with other projections or modeling, as needed
- Lender research
- Research and get to know the inner workings of the Social Impact Investment sector, focusing on organizations that make debt investments in Africa
- Analyze and present the information in a clear database in excel
- Develop a pipeline of prospective lenders for One Acre Fund in the short term and long term
- Understand recent trends in impact investing and how they might impact our access to debt capital now and in the future
- Come up with strategies to minimize interest costs for the organization now and 5-10 years into the future
- Support with meeting preparation in advance of lender calls
- Special Projects
- Currency Hedging Projects
- Analyze worldwide needs by currency
- Develop forecasts for future currency movements
- Research and compare prices of hedging options
- Monitor and assess performance of hedging instruments
- Assist other teams in the Finance Department as needed
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals. Though an internship does not guarantee a permanent job offer, high performing candidates have gone on to work for us full-time in the past.
We are looking for truly extraordinary candidates for a competitive internship position. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Top-performing undergraduate background (include GPA on your resume)
- Currently in MBA or similar finance-focused graduate program (include GPA on your resume)
- Demonstrated experience building complex financial models in a work setting (preferred) or academic setting; Past finance experience strongly preferred
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel
- Past research experience, including proven success analyzing and synthesizing data
- Leadership experience at work, school clubs, volunteer organizations etc.
- Solid communication skills; Ability to communicate information clearly and concisely both by email and verbally
- Humility and personal stability. We have a fantastic and likeable team. We are looking for passionate people that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on varied tasks
- Ability to work both independently and part of a team depending on the project
- Language: English required
Preferred Start Date
May/June 2016. We ask for a three-month total commitment, but are flexible on the start and end dates.
Back to top