Extern ICT and Frontiers
Private sector-style career development in a growing social enterprise
One Acre Fund is hiring on a rolling basis for short-term (3-12 months) externship roles based in Nairobi, Kenya and beginning immediately. These roles offer exposure to a rapidly growing social enterprise in a dynamic East African economy, along with opportunity for regional travel for interactions in the field. These opportunities would be ideal for those candidates looking to apply rigorous analytical skills, business acumen, and solid interpersonal skills developed in prior professional experiences in the service of social impact.
More than 75% of the world's poor are smallholder farmers, representing the largest and most uniform group of poor people in the world. Serving farmers in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, and Tanzania, One Acre Fund is a growing social enterprise that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential. Instead of giving handouts, One Acre Fund invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a complete "service bundle" that includes financing for seed and fertilizer, delivery, training, and market facilitation to maximize profits from harvest sales. Our program is proven impactful: on average, farmers working with One Acre Fund realize a 50%+ increase in crop yields in a single season, giving them a surplus harvest they can sell to make other investments. We measure success in our ability to make farmers more prosperous and we have laser-like focus on generating better lives for the people that we serve.
We are growing quickly. In eight years, we have grown to serve 300,000 farm families with more than 3000 full-time field staff. Website: www.oneacrefund.org
Opportunity 1: Strategy & Research Analyst
We are seeking strategic minds to contribute to our Internal Consulting Team based in Nairobi. This team engages in internal consulting projects aimed at improving internal operations and sharpening our overall strategy. Analysts will have the opportunity to develop and lead projects that directly impact the rapid growth of our organization.
Projects generally fit into one of three categories:
- Operational Improvement projects designed to make us more efficient and effective. For instance, analyzing farmer repayment data then devising novel strategies to increase repayment. Such work involves extensive analysis in MS Excel or R.
- Strategic Growth projects critically evaluate and refine One Acre Fund's growth strategy. For instance, determining which districts or new countries make sense for future expansion. Such projects require extensive secondary research, interviews and data analysis.
- Short–Term Assignments address immediate organizational needs through research and analytical support. For instance, consulting academic and scientific organizations to improve the design of a new crop trial. These projects require fast learning, leadership, and strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
Project work in all categories will be fast-paced, with a heavy emphasis upon targeted research, analysis, as well as a growing focus on supporting the organization’s executive leadership. They will touch upon various internal functions (e.g., Finance, Operations, Innovations) and will impact all countries of operation (Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, and start-up countries).
Opportunity 2: Government Services / New Ventures Analyst
To extend our impact beyond our direct service model, One Acre Fund’s Government Services/New Ventures Unit is now applying targeted areas of operational expertise to whole countries. In early pilots, we have begun working with both government and private sector partners to implement several nationwide programs, including large-scale delivery of farm inputs and nationwide training programs. Analysts will lead evaluation of new markets and the applicability of new products and services to these markets. Potential projects could include:
- Market Scan – overview of markets in Sub-Saharan Africa to evaluate the potential fit for a specific product or service (example: generate overview of current state of government extension services across targeted markets).
- Market or Product Deep Dives – detailed evaluations of the potential fit for a specific product in a market (example: evaluation of opportunities to improve private sector retail distribution outlets in rural communities in a specific country).
- Innovations Exploration – support scoping efforts on very early stage new ventures (example: lead analysis on existing mobile payment platforms available in rural markets to identify potential partnerships or new mobile product development)
As part of a new and fast growing unit, analysts will directly support innovation of One Acre Fund’s model through various new product lines and new market teams. Analysts will participate in key strategic and operations discussions. People who thrive in fast paced and entrepreneurial environments are strongly encouraged to apply.
Career growth and development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Even in a short-term role, your manager will invest in your career development, providing constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and private sector-style management. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new opportunities to contribute to various departmental goals and gain exposure to a variety of functions in the organization.
We are seeking exceptional professional(s) with 2-3 years of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences: a former management consultant would be ideal given the balance of managing short-term projects, analytical skills, and communication skills
- Professional/technical skills: advanced proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel.
- Experience with R and/or Stata is a plus for the Strategy and Research analyst
- Experience with SalesForce is a plus for the Business Development Analyst
- Leadership experiences at or outside of work.
- Top–performing undergraduate background (please include GPA and test scores on your resume).
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for the duration of the externship. The ideal candidate will have had experience working in the developing world, although this is not required.
- Ability to cook/laugh – desirable.
- Language: English required; French is a bonus.
Back to top