European Specialist, Business Development
Major European city, London area or Amsterdam preferred (with up to 20-30% travel to rural Africa and international locations).
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job.
One Acre Fund is on a rapid growth trajectory – we plan to reach 500,000 farm families by 2017, and at least one million by the end of the decade. We are looking for an exceptional individual to join our Business Development and Global Policy team to support doubling our raised revenue by 2020, specifically by building out and furthering a pipeline of private and public donor relationships in Europe, notably the headquarters of the major bilateral and multilateral institutions.
This role, across all areas of work, will:
- Develop strong fluency in agricultural development, poverty alleviation, trends in policy and strategy, and One Acre Fund’s activities and impact in order to support external representation and donor stewardship and build excitement about our work among donor communities.
- Steward existing relationships with priority stakeholders at bilateral HQs (London, Brussels) and with private European donors.
- Leverage personal and existing One Acre Fund networks to establish new contacts and prospective champions
- Attend occasional external or outreach events to represent One Acre Fund, build the organization’s profile, and strengthen connections to donor contacts.
- Work closely with the global Business Development, Govt Relations, and Policy teams and ensure accurate up-to-date record management to facilitate collaboration.
Business Development: Bilateral and Multilateral headquarters (60%)
- Networking, champion identification, relationship management: Identify new contacts and support prospective champions at bilateral and multilateral headquarters in Europe (e.g., DFID, EU, Sida, GIZ, etc). Activities include:
- Activities include identifying contacts and scheduling meetings, and providing meeting support to leadership engaging with targeted bilateral audiences.
- Strategic positioning: Develop strong fluency on strategic priorities of each bilateral and One Acre Fund’s alignment with each and maintain the global strategy documents for top priority bilateral HQs.
- Close coordination Business Development and Government Relations colleagues on mission-level engagement strategies and key positioning against HQ strategies.
- Prospecting: Continual monitoring of opportunities for funding and identification of top funding opportunities. Coordination with Leadership and Bilaterals Specialist to advance opportunities where appropriate.
Global Policy (20%)
- Steward existing relationships with priority stakeholders at bilateral HQs (London, Brussels), and leverage existing networks to establish new contacts and prospective policy champions at Bilaterals HQ. Activities include scheduling meetings with policy advocates to monitor potential policy opportunities.
- Gather timely intelligence to inform strategic decisions on future policy work.
- Update and regularly communicate with global policy team and other government relations staff as needed.
Business Development: Private global markets, with a focus on Europe (20%)
- Relationship management and prospecting: Support a high-value portfolio of existing donors and potential new prospects in Europe from a variety of private funding sources. Activities include prospect identification, research, data management, and stewardship in conjunction with the broader relationship management team.
- Market analysis: Independently execute research and other projects to further our strategy development and positioning in Europe (e.g., market sizing within countries, retail/ social media opportunities to catalyze individual giving, or pitch materials development)
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
Our ideal candidate is a professional with 6+ years of work experience and demonstrated passion for a career in international development (specifically, agricultural development) and relationship management. He/she will have comfort and experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and locations, supported by a high energy level, and a personable, flexible, tenacious, diplomatic, and respectful demeanor. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Demonstrated senior leadership experiences at or outside of work.
- Genuine passion for international development. We are seeking someone who is truly passionate about providing opportunity to the hardest-working farmers on the planet.
- Past experience in international development, agricultural development, and/or fundraising is a plus.
- Past experience in a fast-paced, relationship-driven work environment, such as management consulting, is a plus.
- Strong ability to understand business. We would like to hire someone who will truly understand our operations, and be able to communicate about them simply and effectively.
- Professional/technical skills: Advanced proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel; and professional effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, prioritization skills are necessary. Experience with SalesForce is a plus.
- Top–performing academic background. Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field, graduate degree strongly preferred.
- People-orientation. We are seeking someone with demonstrated experience in relationship building and excellent communications and presentation skills. This skill is particularly important as the role will be partially externally facing.
- Values fit. We put a high premium on values. We want someone who has a true service orientation and humility – someone that puts our farmers before themselves.
- We are looking for passionate professionals who combine leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- Willingness to travel. This role is based in a major European city and will require domestic and regional travel, as well as to Africa up to 20-30% travel. Dates of travel are highly variable.
- Language: English fluency required (written and spoken). Additional European language business fluency a plus (e.g., French, German, Dutch, etc).
Up to 20-30% domestically and internationally (will be dependent on location).
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible.
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Sponsor International Candidates
No (must have work authorization in major European city - London or Amsterdam preferred).
Back to top