Ethiopia Program Officer
NOTE: YOU MAY ONLY APPLY TO ONE POSITION. DUPLICATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Exceptional professionals with a passion for Ethiopian development. East African candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Bahir Dar or another similarly-sized city.
Minimum two year's commitment, full-time job.
As a rapidly growing organization, we are looking to attract Ethiopia’s top talent. We invest heavily in careers – we want to develop our next group of project managers, agricultural experts and and innovation researchers and managers. Depending on skill set (Operations, Agriculture Research, Logistics or Communications) and our needs, we will place Program Officers in appropriate departments under the mentorship of a high-performing Associate or Manager.
Some areas of specialty might include:
- Agricultural research and training: A Program Officer with agronomic experience and training may conduct desk-, expert-, station- and field-based research to determine which interventions have the most potential to impact farmer incomes. Within project execution, such a specialist may have the opportunity to produce farmer training and ToT curriculum, as well as to lead such trainings. They may also advise on program design and improvements.
- Operations, logistics and training: A Program Officer may begin their tenure in Field Operations by providing assistance in the development and dissemination of trainings for government experts and farmers. They may be involved with developing performance management systems, conducting needs assessments and planning logistical activities. They may also advise on program design and improvements.
- Communications and marketing: A Program Officer may help develop innovative strategies for reaching as many farmers as possible with appropriate messages to encourage adoption of new agricultural technologies and best practices. Preparing draft farmer-facing content, planning field tests and rolling out final materials are key components to this sort of role. Content development at One Acre Fund always includes rigorous field observations, interviews, focus groups, and other market testing.
- Mobile technology: A Program Officer might help develop innovative ways to communicate with farmers and extension agents using SMS, IVR, apps or other online platforms. User testing of such platforms might be part of such a role, as might content development, new technology/platform roll-out or the writing and facilitation of trainings on how to use such applications.
Depending on her/his performance, the Program Officer may advance rapidly. These options & potential growth trajectories will be discussed with you regularly by your manager.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests heavily in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Program Officers will have access to regular and ongoing professional development opportunities aimed at building the soft and hard skills required for quick rapid professional growth. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking multiple exceptional professional(s) with at least four year(s) of work experience and a demonstrated passion for Ethiopian development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong Work Experience: Candidates should have at least four years of strong experiences either specifically related to the focus areas mentioned above or in the areas of in project management, team management or entrepreneurship. Some examples of strong work experiences include: writing and facilitating trainings, starting/managing a business or a new initiative, leading an agricultural research project, launching new products for a company, organizing a conference, rolling out new technology to a large group, managing a department, etc.
- Leadership: We are looking for candidates with demonstrated leadership experience at work, or outside of work. Examples of demonstrated leadership experience include leading a team toward a mutual goal or initiating a new project.
- Education: Strong undergraduate background at top Ethiopian or international universities. If you are interested in specific roles (such as Agriculture or Marketing), please highlight relevant educational background to succeed in those positions. Masters degree is a plus.
- Communication: Excellent written and oral communication in Amharic and English. Candidates should be comfortable in English on the phone with a native speaker.
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders. This is absolutely critical for any individual wishing to join the Ethiopia team.
- Rural Fit. A willingness to commit to living outside of Addis Ababa and traveling frequently to the field.
- Other Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Intermediate or better typing speed.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible.
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with raises for performance.
Health stipend and pension contributions. Annual leave and generous holidays. Work expenses are reimbursed. Bonuses are given to high performers.
Note: We will not be able to sponsor a visa for this position. Ethiopians, male and female, are encouraged to apply.
Back to top