Senior Vice President, Social Change
Ogilvy Washington is seeking a Senior Vice President to join our award winning Social Change practice and serve as the Project Director of a large, dynamic and fast-paced national resilience program.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a network of risk communications, emergency management, issues management, community outreach, partnership building, and engineering experts to engage a broad array of national and local stakeholders around the issues of natural disaster mitigation and recovery, climate change adaptation, and economic stability to strengthen the arguments for local communities to take actions to protect themselves. The Project Director will oversee all contract-related efforts for this Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) program to help increase our nation’s resilience to natural disasters, one community at a time. This program is extremely dynamic with many moving parts and engaged stakeholders. The project encompasses a variety of disciplines related to risk communication and behavior change among the general public and key decision makers—traditional and social media relations, materials development and dissemination, partnership development, event planning and execution, and strategic planning.
The Project Director will work collaboratively with colleagues in Washington, DC and 10 regional offices nationwide to increase understanding of local vulnerabilities and transforming that knowledge into action to reduce risks at the local level. Stakeholder audiences include Federal officials, State and local officials, community planners, emergency managers, professional groups, businesses, and local residents.
The successful candidate will have experience managing large government contracts and using social marketing and risk communication principles, and solid work experience in a communications agency environment. This is an excellent opportunity to utilize your leadership, strategic agility and client service skills to lead large, comprehensive programs as a senior member of our Social Change practice.
For nearly two decades, Ogilvy Washington has been at the forefront of social marketing—advancing personal and public health and safety via communications initiatives. We have developed numerous social marketing campaigns to successfully raise awareness, educate and prompt action regarding some of today’s largest and most complex issues, ranging from flooding and other natural disasters, personal and community-level preparedness for natural and man-made disasters, as well as public health emergencies, addressing heart disease to cancer, substance abuse to homeland security, obesity to violence prevention—the list is extensive. We take great pride in deploying solutions that improve and save lives.
If you are excited about applying your extensive communications and project management experience to a high-profile, flood-related program in a fast-paced organization, then this opportunity may be for you. A successful candidate will have a high level of intellectual curiosity and the ability to learn complex subjects quickly.
We are seeking a senior-level social marketing/risk communications professional with management experience in an agency environment to lead an exciting and multifaceted government account, as well as supervise staff and help develop new business. Specific duties include:
- Direct large government account in the social change practice and ensure optimal performance against budgeted deliverables
- Provide strategic direction on the account and serve as a senior-level advisor to the client, while overseeing day-to-day activities of team members
- Manage a large team of professionals in DC, as well as 10 regional offices, with an eye to proactive problem solving and inspired creativity
- Use strong people management skills to ensure optimal performance of team members and contribute to the career growth and development of our staff
- Play a significant and active role in the firm’s overall performance and revenue by leading new business development initiatives, identifying and developing new business opportunities, and growing existing accounts
- At least 12-15+ years of experience in public relations, social marketing and/or risk communications, preferably in an agency setting. Direct management experience of federal government contracts is a must.
- Understanding of national, state, and local government workings will enable candidate to help move action on a local level towards flood resiliency.
- Demonstrated ability as a strategic thinker, collaborative colleague, and results-oriented professional who can build and lead a strong team and succeed in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Ability to provide a strategic perspective on projects that require an understanding of both behavior change and marketing communications.
- Expert level knowledge of social marketing principles.
- Proven success in managing large, multi-faceted projects—from planning to implementation to evaluation across earned and social media, corporate and non-profit partnership development, events management and materials development.
- Proven ability to financially manage large, multi-million dollar government contracts, including experience accurately forecasting budgets, overseeing invoicing and reporting, and keeping projects on schedule.
- Extensive experience in providing strategic senior-level counsel to clients, and in developing and maintaining successful client relationships.
- Demonstrated experience with media relations and corporate partnership development and outreach.
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple projects, turn projects around quickly, and meet deadlines.
- Proven business development record, including growing existing business and securing new business through written proposal development and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate a team of diverse professionals ranging from junior to senior levels.
- Demonstrated experience managing and mentoring junior staff.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills .
- BA/BS required; advanced degree a plus.
Please visit the careers section of our website at http://careers.ogilvy.com to apply online. No phone calls or emails please. Only those candidates selected to interview will be contacted. While we welcome applications from out of state candidates, we are unable to provide reimbursement for relocation or travel expenses for this position.
Ogilvy PR is a unit of Ogilvy & Mather, a WPP company (NASDAQ: WPPGY). For more information, visit our website at www.ogilvypr.com or follow us on Twitter @ogilvypr.
Back to top