Senior Medical Writer, Medical Education - Ogilvy Healthworld
A day in the life of...
Our approach is founded on expertise that combines biomedical science, learning theory and behaviour change to create meaningful professional and medical education in order to transform pharma capabilities, enable better clinical decisions and improve patient outcomes. Combined with the creative heritage and capabilities of the Ogilvy network, this makes Ogilvy Healthworld Medical Education 'Scientifically Grounded, Creatively Driven'. This is our passion.
As an agency we always look to challenge the status quo and bring a genuinely different and creative way of thinking to the projects we deliver for clients and the way we work together. Members of our team need to be enthusiastic and committed to helping us continually innovate, evolve and develop.
We are an integrated agency and Medical Writers at Ogilvy will work on projects that span medical education, promotional marketing, digital and market access. Therefore, this is an outstanding opportunity for a Medical Writer to further develop their scientific communication expertise across these disciplines in a creative, imaginative team and an environment that supports professional and personal development.
We rely on you to...
- Writes and manages delivery of scientific content for a range of medical communications activities that meet client needs, internal quality standards and timelines
- Provides impeccable writing services to key clients
- Is the Lead Writer for one or more major accounts
- Provides the main point of contact on matters of scientific content for the client and KOLs
- Oversees editorial delivery for themselves and other editorial team members; monitoring the quality, style and accuracy of editorial work across a range of activities and provides timely, consistent and constructive feedback
- Able to juggle several projects and accounts, managing incoming workload effectively across writing teams and maintaining standards of excellence in finished products
- Takes briefs directly from clients / other stakeholders with no supervision; provides briefs to other team members
- Ensures editorial style is appropriate and of the highest standard
- Can write to a high standard, without supervision, across a spectrum of projects, from the highly scientific to the strongly marketing
- Has a strong understanding of claims, key messages and marketing objectives
- Is able to input into agenda development of scientific meetings
- Is aware of the importance of the brand
- Resolves queries on behalf of medical experts; liaises effectively with client team to find answers and provide them in a timely manner
- Provides sets of validated references as required
- Capable of creating many types of project (e.g. manuscripts, slide decks, websites, training programmes, advisory boards)
- Ensures consistency within and between relevant documents
- Incorporates complex editorial comments and solves queries to present a 'finished' final document
- Understands the different types of proof-reading – rough reading and close reading – and when they should be used
- Uses proof-reading marks routinely
- Can confidently provide on-site writing/content support across a range of meetings
Editorial Team Development:
- Takes on line management responsibility: actively involved in constructing personal development plans for editorial team members, including setting short- and long-term objectives
- Coaches and mentors junior Writers
- Advises the editorial team on best practices and is a champion of editorial processes and working practices
- Provides editorial training in relevant therapy area / discipline / editorial processes or relevant topics of interest
- Assists in recruitment by interviewing candidates
- Supports 360 team-working principles within OHW; represents editorial team within other departments
- Understands the remit of other disciplines and is able to discuss these coherently with clients
- Encourages collaboration between departments and business units; looks for collaborative opportunities
- Liaises with clients routinely, by email, telephone and in person
- Responds promptly to client requests
- Understands the medical and marketing issues relating to the client, product and therapy area
- Understands the role that medical education plays in the client's business environment
- Provides scientific input to complement account management in developing new opportunities within accounts – organic growth
Account Team Working:
- Develops awareness of complete programme of activities and resource requirements
- Contributes to development of budgets and schedules; works within the job specification, including time allocation and agreed budgets, flagging up any variances in advance to the account team
- Ensures projects are progressed efficiently from initiation to completion
- Accurate and timely completion of timesheets
- Applies knowledge of strategic marketing of pharmaceuticals to account plans, strategic publication plans, strategic communication programmes, proposals and pitches
- Participates fully in briefing and brainstorming meetings
- Provides scientific expertise to business development in the development of new business pitches and proposals
- Maintains broad awareness of developments in relevant therapeutic areas and discipline, editorial issues within publishing and the medical education industry
You are great at...
We are looking for candidates who have a passion for the communication of science and are looking for the opportunity to further develop their skills in a creative environment. They will need to be able to develop compelling and accurate scientific content while applying the highest editorial standards. A track record of being able to tailor your approach to different audiences and for a range of different formats is an advantage.
We are looking for organised and self-motivated candidates who take ownership of their work and are committed to achieving the highest editorial standards through effective teamwork with both their editorial and account colleagues. Understanding the value of an editorial process and being able to manage projects through this to ensure all editorial content meets the client's aims and objectives, is fully supported by the scientific literature and is of the highest standard is vital.
All of our medical writers are expected to liaise with clients and external experts and as such need to be committed to providing excellent client service. This requires the ability to gain an in-depth understanding of the client's product and brand strategy, the therapeutic landscape and the competitor environment in order to develop accurate scientific content and discuss this content with clients and external experts.
Meet Some of Ogilvy's Employees
Assistant Account Executive
Alexander and his team bridge the gap between Ogilvy’s clients and its internal departments. As an Assistant Account Executive, Alexander combines client feedback with creative know-how put together amazing campaigns.
Back to top