On-Site Freelance Editorial Proofreader for Intermittent Assignments
The proofreader is
responsible for methodically reading and marking up copy to ensure the highest
level of editorial quality and accuracy. Calibri”>The work may be done on-screen or using pen and paper and can include
the full range of advertising and marketing materials: from traditional print
advertising to direct marketing and Web content to client presentations and
internal corporate communications.“MS Mincho”;mso-hansi-font-family:“MS Mincho”;mso-bidi-font-family:“MS Mincho”“>
proofreaders perform a quality-assurance review of the work of other proofreaders
and help maintain the department’s editorial style guide or work on other
editorial/administrative projects to support the department. Proofreaders also
may be trained to assist with customer service and to document and track the
department’s work flow.
mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>Important to emphasize:
- This is an
on-site position in mid-town Manhattan.
- This is for
intermittent work, not full time: could be, for instance, a week or two with
little or no work and other weeks with quite a bit more.
proofreader needs to be flexible with
ü mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>When working in the evening, must be prepared to
stay as late as midnight when needed.
ü mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>Must be able to work occasionally on weekends.
American English language skills: spelling, grammar, punctuation, and usage.
- mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>The ability to recognize and correct editorial
- mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>An excellent, close eye for detail in order to
detect all differences from backup.
- mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>Good memory and an alert and orderly mind – to
recognize disorder, inconsistencies, and repetition in the copy.
- mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>Strong communication skills – an ability to write
neatly and comprehensibly and speak well.
- mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>Flexibility – to adapt to differences in types of
copy, instructions, and schedules.
- mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>Promptness and dependability.
- mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>Strong work ethic and the ability to follow
- mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>Judgment – willing to make decisions that reflect
sound and accurate thinking, and the ability to support and explain reasoning
- mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri”>Commitment to forging and maintaining functional
work relationships as a team player.
- Calibri;mso-ansi-language:EN” lang=“EN”>Proficiency in basic computer skills, such as MS
Word, Excel, and Internet searches.Arial”>
- bold”>A minimum of three years’ experience in proofreading/editing advertising
Back to top