Freelance Account Director / Community Engagement and Risk Communications Professional
Ogilvy seeks a community engagement and risk communications professional to join our award-winning Social Change practice in Atlanta, GA. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a network of risk communications, emergency management, issues management, community outreach, partnership building, and engineering experts to engage a broad array of stakeholders around the issues of natural disaster mitigation and resilient recovery, climate change adaptation, and economic stability to strengthen the arguments for local communities to take actions to protect themselves. Immediate needs exist on a unique Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) program to help increase our nation’s resilience to natural disasters, one community at a time. The project includes a variety of disciplines related to risk communication and community engagement—materials development and dissemination, relationship building, and event planning and execution.
This temp-to-perm position works collaboratively with colleagues in Washington, D.C., and 10 regional offices nationwide to raise understanding of local vulnerabilities. Stakeholder audiences include Federal officials, State and local officials, community planners, emergency managers, professional groups, businesses, and local residents. The position will require some travel within an eight-state region.
For nearly two decades, Ogilvy has been at the forefront of social change—advancing personal and public health and safety through innovative communication initiatives. We have developed numerous social change campaigns to successfully raise awareness, educate and prompt action regarding some of today’s largest and most complex issues, ranging from homeland security to income taxes, emergency preparedness to heart disease, violence prevention to substance abuse—the list is extensive. We take great pride in deploying solutions that improve and save lives.
- Planning and executing public events, to include all aspects of logistical planning and coordination;
- Overseeing and preparing a variety of written materials including communication plans, partnership agreements, outreach tools and materials, and reports;
- Managing relationships with regional partners and assisting with the development of tailored outreach and engagement programs;
- Supporting outreach operations of a large FEMA account;
- Providing expertise in the coordination of strategic communications plans and content related to community resilience;
- Coordinating and strategizing with the Washington, DC-based leadership team and FEMA Regional offices on floodplain mapping and community resilience projects;
- Researching, developing, and managing existing and new partnerships with influencers; consumer, non-profit, and business organizations; professional organizations;
- Researching and supporting planning and collaboration with Creative and Digital teams in the development of creative assets, which may include video, social media, interactive tools, and digital promotions;
- Facilitating disaster communications support, as needed, to national and regional response teams.
- 7-8 years of experience in strategic communications, including developing and managing relationships, preferably in an agency setting and for a government client.
- Superior client service and client relationship skills.
- Proactive, problem solver, team player.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of audiences from Federal, State, and local officials to thought leaders, business leaders, and local residents.
- Experience working on watershed, community planning, climate adaptation, engineering, flooding or other natural hazard issues is preferred.
- Issues management experience is a plus.
- Proven ability to manage staff across multiple projects efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with teams across the nation is essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills are essential.
- Willingness to travel and work on client site.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree a plus.
Back to top