FKH - Vice President - Emerging Biotech
Are you passionate about the potential of groundbreaking scientific discoveries to change healthcare? Are you inspired by new, innovative partnerships and business models that are redefining the landscape of drug development? Do you “geek out” when you hear the words synthetic biology, gene editing or microbiome? If so, you may have found your next professional adventure!
FKH is seeking a Vice President to help develop, oversee and grow a dedicated communications offering for existing and new clients within our emerging biotechnology market segment. She/he must understand the unique business characteristics and communications needs of up-and-coming “market makers” within the biotech sector, and be comfortable working directly with C-level executives to devise and execute on tailored, insightful communications strategies that support defined business objectives.
This individual will join a team of smart, dynamic and client-focused professionals to service existing clients, and will work closely with other senior leaders in the firm to define the offering and build the portfolio at FKH. S/he will provide day-to-day management of activities across our portfolio of emerging and growth biotech clients, including communications strategy development, messaging, market conditioning, branding, financial communications, regulatory communications, crisis communications, internal communications and advocacy communications.
The successful candidate must be able to manage multiple assignments and clients with a high degree of success and independence, and will enjoy operating in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, team-oriented environment.
- Build, maintain and cultivate a healthy portfolio of satisfied biotechnology clients by managing account teams to ensure that activities are on strategy, and that client needs are met on-time and on budget
- Quickly come up to speed on the specific of each client’s discipline to provide counsel that reflects nuanced understanding of their specific approach, as well as deep knowledge and experience in biotechnology corporate and pipeline communications
- Direct planning and execution of a broad range of client services, including corporate and pipeline positioning and messaging; corporate visibility and thought leadership; financial, scientific and pipeline milestones; issues preparedness and management; social media; media relations; spokesperson preparation; and internal communications
- Complete or oversee a wide array of writing assignments appropriate for both scientific and lay audiences, ranging from corporate materials, media materials, websites, and social media
- Lead the development of recommendations and programs that demonstrate a broad knowledge of the media, advocacy and regulatory arenas
- Share knowledge, develop resources and present thoughtful ideas across the firm to build staff understanding of the biotech market
- Recruit, manage and mentor staff to meet evolving client needs, with particular emphasis on directing development of junior staff through project assignments, training programs, etc.
- Identify, pursue and secure new clients, working closely with other market/segment leadership and client services leads to draft and/or lead new business proposals and other business development activities
- Develop firm visibility at the local and national level by routinely and rigorously applying knowledge within industry forums and other internal/network and external outlets
Attributes: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate all of the following attributes:
§ Consummate team player and collaborator
§ Excellent communicator in both written and verbal settings
§ Natural leader with unwavering integrity and personal accountability
§ Keen interest in science, life sciences, and/or healthcare
§ Strong desire to learn new concepts and skills
§ Impeccable attention to detail
Required Skills, Knowledge, Must Haves, and Experience of the “A” Player:
§ Minimum of 10 years of biotech communications experience in either an agency or in-house setting
§ Understanding and experience in financial and business communications required
§ Experience in developing and managing strategic communications programs for biotechnology companies and products across a broad range of life science disciplines
§ Depth and diversity of project experience and consistent track record of achieving communications objectives
§ Demonstrated leadership ability to grow existing accounts, as well as in developing new business
§ Adept at providing counsel to and influencing c-suite executives
§ Experience in the management of client or external party relationships
§ Ability to manage multiple workstreams effectively and successfully
§ Excellent writing and editing skills
§ Ability to develop budgets and monitor and manage client’s budgets and the team’s financial performance
§ Strong people management and mentoring skills
Education (degrees, technical training, etc.):
§ Bachelor’s degree required
Technical Expertise (systems, sciences, technologies, etc.):
§ Facile with MS Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Work Conditions (Travel requirements, etc.):
§ 10-15% travel
§ FKH Team in all offices
About Feinstein Kean Healthcare
Feinstein Kean Healthcare (FKH) is a leading strategy/communication partner for innovative healthcare business and organizations of all types. We tend to work with those commercial entities and other organizations that are closest to emerging trends in science, medicine, business, policy and healthy consumer behaviors. Our clients therefore include many leading, global pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, diagnostic and device companies; personal genomics, nutrition and wellness companies and institutions; health information technology providers; contract research and health services firms; consulting organizations; advocacy groups and professional and industry organizations; academic medicine and government agencies. In other words, our work and relationships truly span the spectrum of health stakeholders — which informs our work and expands the horizon of opportunities available to our talented professionals.
FKH is a 27-year old firm; we have always specialized in health sciences and health care, and are recognized for our work in breakthrough areas of science and medicine, and for category altering products and technologies. We are headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with offices in Parsippany, New Jersey, New York, and Washington, DC. FKH is an Ogilvy company, and participates with its Ogilvy and WPP colleagues to provide services to clients on a global basis. FKH offers a full range of strategic communication, marketing and related services that help clients to drive commercialization of their products, form partnerships, build coalitions with stakeholders, and improve the landscape with impact on policy.
Back to top