Head of Data Science
OfferUp is revolutionizing how people buy and sell locally, making the process as easy as taking and sharing a photo from your phone. We connect buyers and sellers in a simple and safe marketplace that allows people to make exchanges that would otherwise be difficult or impossible. We now operate the world’s largest and fastest growing local marketplace, and we are seeking passionate people to join our team.
Core to our mission is our use of data. Our marketplace yields millions of transactions every month, and we seek to use this data to improve every aspect of our customer experience. We are seeking a Head of Data Science to lead our emerging data science effort. In this role you will work closely with the entire executive team, define our long-term R&D roadmap, mentor and manage all other scientists, and partner with with product managers and engineers to deliver data-driven insights and product improvements.
The ideal candidate has a broad understanding of the entire landscape of machine learning and data science, has a solid track record of transferring research results into product, is excellent in all forms of communication, will be a magnet for others to join the team, and will have a strategic mindset that helps to shape the direction of the company.
When successful in this role you will be recognized as a world-class Data Science leader. You will both identify best practices that OfferUp should adopt, and develop best practices that will be adopted by other organizations. This is a role that will require great leadership skills to drive change across the entire organization.
Are you up for a challenge?
- Define and prioritize the basic research opportunities for the entire company;
- Identify all infrastructure gaps required to make data science as productive as possible;
- Serve as a domain expert in many areas of machine learning and data science;
- Hire, mentor, and manage all other scientists within the company;
- Act as an internal advisor on all issues related to data;
- Contribute to the overall company strategy, especially as it pertains to data;
- Make individual technical contribution where possible;
- Serve as the company’s public ambassador to the scientific community;
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field;
- World-class experience in at least one area of machine learning;
- 10+ years of professional work experience, and 5+ years of R&D management;
- Proficiency in prototyping advanced algorithms in appropriate programming languages;
- 5+ years experience in transferring research results into product;
- Outstanding history of communicating complex ideas;
- Strong execution and organizational skills;
- Eligible to work in the United States;
Nice to Have:
- Experience working in e-commerce and mobile marketplaces;
- Academic publishing track record;
- Deep engineering experience;
- Executive experience;
Meet Some of OfferUp's Employees
Customer Care Manager
Elizabeth is a manager on the Customer Care Team. Her focus is on helping her team champion OfferUp values and work with members of the OfferUp community to improve their experiences with the app.
Back to top