Head of Data Science
OfferUp is revolutionizing how people buy and sell locally, making the process as easy as taking and sharing a photo from your phone. We connect buyers and sellers in a simple and safe marketplace that allows people to make exchanges that would otherwise be difficult or impossible. We now operate the world’s largest and fastest growing local marketplace, and we are seeking passionate people to join our team.
At a Glance
- Geekwire App of Year
- $14+ Billion In Transactions in 2016
- Users spend an average of 25 minutes per day on OfferUp (same as Snapchat and Instagram)
- 35+ Million Downloads
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
Core to our mission is our use of data. Our marketplace yields millions of transactions every month, and we seek to use this data to improve every aspect of our customer experience. We are seeking a superstar Head of Data Science to lead our emerging data science effort. In this role you will work closely with the entire executive team, define our long-term R&D roadmap, lead our fast growing team of data scientists, and partner with product managers and engineers to deliver data-driven insights and product improvements.
The ideal candidate has a broad understanding of the entire landscape of data science and machine learning, has a solid track record of transferring research results into product, is excellent in all forms of communication, will be a magnet for others to join the team, and will have a strategic mindset that helps to shape the direction of the company.
When successful in this role you will be recognized as a world-class data science leader. You will both identify best practices that OfferUp should adopt, and develop best practices that will be adopted by other organizations. This is a role that will require great leadership skills to drive change across the entire organization. Are you up for an exciting, high-impact challenge?
- Define and prioritize data science opportunities for the company
- Hire, mentor, and manage exceptional data scientists
- Identify infrastructure opportunities to increase data science productivity
- Serve as a domain expert in many areas of data science and machine learning
- Act as an internal advisor on all issues related to data
- Contribute to the overall company strategy, especially as it pertains to data
- Make individual technical contributions where possible
- Serve as the company’s public ambassador to the data science community
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field
- World-class experience in at least one area of machine learning
- 10+ years of professional work experience, and 5+ years of R&D management
- Proficiency in prototyping advanced algorithms in appropriate programming languages
- 5+ years experience in transferring research results into product
- Outstanding history of communicating complex ideas
- Strong execution, organizational skills
- Eligible to work in the United States
Nice to Have:
- Experience working in ecommerce or other online marketplaces
- Academic publishing track record
- Deep engineering experience
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Meet Some of OfferUp's Employees
Customer Care Manager
Elizabeth is a manager on the Customer Care Team. Her focus is on helping her team champion OfferUp values and work with members of the OfferUp community to improve their experiences with the app.
Back to top