OfferUp is changing how we buy and sell locally by making it as easy as taking and sharing a photo from your phone. We are about connecting buyers and sellers in a simple and safe marketplace that changes people’s lives. We are a rapidly growing team in the Seattle area looking for passionate, motivated, and curious people who want to be part of our fast growing marketplace.
OfferUp has an exciting opportunity open to join our Data team as a Data Scientist. The right candidate will have a passion for manipulating and using new and existing data sources to help drive actionable recommendations.
- Design and measure experiments to test in various cross-functional areas to challenge hypotheses and come up with actionable recommendations.
- Research and implement machine learning and computational models.
- Identify and perform deep data mining in specific business areas (crime risk modeling, user reputation, personalization, recommenders etc.)
- Conduct end-to-end experimentation from conception/research, offline testing and live A/B testing.
- Act as an analytics advisor to solve business problems using data.
- Act as a data ambassador conveying insights at various levels.
- Stay informed on the latest machine learning trends including recommender systems and deep learning.
- PhD or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field
- 3+ years of professional work experience
- Expertise around programming languages like Java, Python, C/C++, SQL etc.
- Hands on experience in predictive modeling and analyses
- Strong analysis, problem solving, data structures and algorithm development background
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Nice to Have:
- Experience working in e-commerce and mobile marketplaces
- Some experience in the following: Streaming analytics, Reservoir sampling and Iterative methods
Meet Some of OfferUp's Employees
Customer Care Manager
Elizabeth is a manager on the Customer Care Team. Her focus is on helping her team champion OfferUp values and work with members of the OfferUp community to improve their experiences with the app.
Back to top