Data Engineer - Infrastructure
OfferUp is on a mission to create the simplest, most trustworthy way to buy and sell locally. The free app for iOS and Android helps sellers quickly post items for sale with just a picture from their smartphones and lets buyers easily browse what's nearby. Now the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., OfferUp brings millions of people together to discover more value right where they are.
At a Glance
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- $14+ Billion In Transactions in 2016
- Geekwire App of Year
- 35+ Million Downloads
As a Data Engineer, you will help build OfferUp’s offline and near-realtime data serving and processing infrastructure. These systems drive the end user experience, as well as directly supporting backend engineers and data scientists. Building the largest and most responsive mobile marketplace poses unique data challenges that require leveraging the latest developments in data infrastructure. We leverage open source infrastructure where we can, but are ready to build and share solutions if they don’t exist yet. Come help us do that!
- Contribute to developing frameworks and applications to process large amounts of critical information in near realtime to power user-facing features.
- Help build a data lake that will scale to OfferUp’s future expansive processing needs, utilizing large-scale SQL processing frameworks and data formats like Apache Avro and Apache Parquet.
- Build and deploy low-latency non-relational data stores to power analytical and mobile app use cases, including graph and NoSQL tasks.
- 3+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Proficiency in Java or Scala
- Strong ability in data structures and distributed systems
- Experience leveraging open source data infrastructure projects, such as Apache Flink, Apache Samza, Apache Spark, Apache Airflow, Apache Kafka, Apache Hadoop, Apache Hive, Apache HBase, Apache Phoenix, Presto or Druid
- Experience contributing to any of the above or similar projects is a big plus
- Knowledge of data pipelines and real-time data streams
- Experience building software in AWS or a similar cloud environment
- BA or BS degree; Computer Science or Engineering degree preferred
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally...Come join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Meet Some of OfferUp's Employees
Customer Care Manager
Elizabeth is a manager on the Customer Care Team. Her focus is on helping her team champion OfferUp values and work with members of the OfferUp community to improve their experiences with the app.
Back to top