At OfferUp, as our user base and market penetration grows exponentially, we are experiencing an explosion of data. We are still in early stages of what will become the analytical platform for the largest mobile marketplace.
OfferUp Data Team is seeking a Data Engineer to focus on Business Intelligence in our growing team. You will help design, build and maintain highly scalable, low-latency stream-centric data pipelines. You will contribute to the vision for data infrastructure and business intelligence tools. You will work with engineers and data scientists to optimize logging, event streaming, and create well-designed database schemas and data storage.
We are on a mission to evolve OfferUp's culture to be information and analytics centric. You will help champion importance of data-driven decision-making throughout the entire organization.
- Design, develop, publish and maintain dimensional data models that improve the usability of business-oriented data.
- Creating a framework to acquire data quickly and efficiently, which will inform and educate various business units to make well-informed decisions.
- You will help in creating physical data models to deliver high performance.
- Designing and building reporting, monitoring and alerting mechanisms to improve visibility to the health of our data pipelines.
- You will help develop reliable data pipelines that convert data into powerful signals and features.
- You will be participating in building a metadata system where all available data is cataloged and maintained.
- As a part of your role you will interface with business stakeholders to understand their data needs, as well as to inform them and provide guidance about the data team’s capabilities.
- You will meet with upstream teams to analyze and understand data sources, participate in design discussions and provide guidance about data modeling and database technology best practices.
- 3+ years of professional software engineering experience with specific experience in Computer Science or Data Engineering.
- Proven ability to work with varied forms of data infrastructure, including transactional and relational databases.
- Strong understanding of data modeling skills especially with dimensional models, star schema and OLAP cubes.
- Design and build self-service BI data analysis tools and interfaces for business stakeholders.
- Expert level SQL language skills - Must be comfortable with windowing functions.
- ETL experience handling large data volumes and high ingestion rates.
- Experience with building reports and dashboards using tools like Looker, Tableau, MicroStrategy, Cognos, etc.
- Interfacing with business stakeholders to understand their data needs and translate those into actionable requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Nice to have:
- NoSQL and distributed data processing systems.
- Streaming applications and platforms (Kafka, Kinesis, Spark, Samza etc).
- Columnar databases (RedShift, Vertica, Greenplum etc).
- Agile/Scrum development process.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally! Come join the team and take the ride of your life!
Back to top