Quality Assurance Lead Engineer
Odyssey is looking for talented quality assurance engineers to join our growing team. Projects focus on our redesigned website (theodysseyonline.com), and we are looking for a QA Lead that will closely integrate with the software engineering team. Development is focused on front-end web development, back-end APIs for data retrieval, tools for empowering writers in the editorial process, advertising, content personalization for readers, and any analytics that facilitate the product or our knowledge of the product. We believe that QA leads should empower the software engineers, helping to create tooling and efficiencies for automated testing of this development, and brainstorming testing strategies for discovering regressions.
We operate in a pseudo-agile manner. And no, that doesn’t mean "waterfall" with stand-ups. It is more of a mix of Scrum and Kanban. Engineers work autonomously. The majority of your work will come from the product roadmap; however, we do empower engineers to allocate a portion of their time to work on what they think is best. We try to minimize meetings and deadlines, and maximize the time spent doing stuff that is fun.
- Front-end: React, Redux, Webpack, ES6
- Back-end: Node, Express
- Data-layer: Azure Blob Storage, Azure Table Storage, SQL Server
- Infrastructure: Azure Resource Manager, Linux (Ubuntu), a Raspberry Pi**
- QA: Chai, Mocha, Selenium WebDriver
What we expect of you
- Interest in agile development and DevOps.
- Ability to thoroughly understand underlying technologies, to understand what the largest candidates are for what should be tested.
- Basic knowledge of at least one web MVC framework, preferably React.
Bonus points if you...
- Know other web unit testing platforms, and can converse about the pros and the cons between each.
- Have experience in unit testing, integration testing, scalability testing, and UI testing.
- Don’t mind running smoke tests, but you also don’t mind delegating to engineers, making QA an organic process that the whole team is responsible for.
- Prefer a collaborative environment, and you have disdain for “throw it over the wall” or “gatekeeper” mentalities.
- Know all the things. Or at least some of the things.
- Prefer Vim over Emacs.***
** Disclaimer: A joke.
*** Disclaimer: Not a joke.
Odyssey is a content platform that discovers and shares a chorus of millennial voices on topics that matter most to you. Odyssey enables content to find its most relevant audience organically.
We were featured in the Indianapolis Business Journal in a high-tech jobs report, after receiving $25M in an equity round. We recently rebuilt our online platform using our favorite technologies, and kicked off the new start with a beta launch event in New York City. We are quickly expanding our technology center in Indianapolis as we are becoming a top tech company in the region.
Read more about us here:
Back to top