Odyssey is looking for a talented devops/reliability engineer to join our growing team. Projects focus on our redesigned website (theodysseyonline.com), and we are hiring for a wide variety of positions. Engineers have freedom to take on what tasks they find most meaningful and valuable. This role is focused on the platform for the front-end web development, back-end APIs for data retrieval, tools for empowering writers in the editorial process, advertising, content personalization for readers, and any analytics that facilitate the product or our knowledge of the product.
We operate in a pseudo-agile manner. And no, that doesn’t mean "waterfall" with stand-ups. It is more of a mix of Scrum and Kanban. Engineers work autonomously. The majority of your work will come from the product roadmap; however, we do empower engineers to allocate a portion of their time to work on what they think is best. We try to minimize meetings and deadlines, and maximize the time spent doing stuff that is fun.
- Front-end: React, Redux, Webpack, ES6
- Back-end: Node, Express
- Data-layer: Azure Blob Storage, Azure Table Storage, SQL Server
- Infrastructure: Azure Resource Manager, Linux (Ubuntu), a Raspberry Pi**
- Communication: Slack and robots for alerting
What we expect of you
- Design for the Cloud first
- Proficient in Linux
- Design approachable solutions that are simple and repeatable
- Irrational exuberance in finding and preventing root cause
Bonus points if you...
- Have experience with docker and the orchestration platforms
- Know your way around git and deployment methodologies
- Web applications with node
- Know configuration management tools like puppet, chef or ansible
- Can write read and write bash scripts
- Love to be a part of reducing the distance between idea to production
- Prefer Vim over Emacs.***
** Disclaimer: A joke.
*** Disclaimer: Not a joke.
Odyssey is a content platform that discovers and shares a chorus of millennial voices on topics that matter most to you. Odyssey enables content to find its most relevant audience organically.
We were featured in the Indianapolis Business Journal in a high-tech jobs report, after receiving$25M in an equity round. We recently rebuilt our online platform using our favorite technologies, and kicked off the new start with a beta launch event in New York City. We are quickly expanding our technology center in Indianapolis as we are becoming a top tech company in the region.
Read more about us here:
Back to top