Senior Mortgage Underwriter - Dallas, TX
About Oak Mortgage:
Oak Mortgage is a boutique-sized residential mortgage company based in Dallas with offices in Austin and Waco. We began in 2005 as a response to the decline in responsible lending and wanted to create a new banking model that was consumer and employee-focused.
We don't want the "M" word to scare people and are on a mission to flip the culture surrounding finance institutions and mortgage lending on its head. Our vision is to greatly improve the customer experience, build trust and have a people-centered philosophy where the customer's needs, their families and their goals are ultimately the central focus. To get a feel for our brand, check out our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/OakMortgage
In addition, Oak has a one-of-a-kind program to help people in Africa and Central America escape poverty. Through an international partner, we distribute microloans to help people start their own business and provide for their families. Not only does a portion of every loan fund this, but we take trips each year with employees, customers and realtors who have helped in the process. Our initiative is called Oak for the Oppressed (OFTO) and you can learn more about it here: http://ofto.oakmortgagegroup.com.
Finally, Oak Mortgage has a dynamic company culture where employees are engaged, motivated and have a common passion to help people. This focused culture is the centerpiece to our strategy of changing the way people are treated in the mortgage industry. Our internal culture is something we pride ourselves in as we believe investing in people is the key to a successful business.
Regardless of your position, your principal function is to help this Company find, serve and keep profitable customers by driving Oak’s purpose statement to surprise our customers by instilling trust, peace of mind, and attention to the details that matter to them through a boutique-quality experience.
OAK Mortgage Group is seeking experienced Underwriters with strong experience on purchase and refinance mortgage transactions to join our dynamic team. The primary responsibilities will be analyzing and evaluating consumer home loan applications and the supporting documentation to assess borrowers' credit worthiness. Types of consumer loan applications include, but are not limited to Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA and USDA residential first mortgages. Must be able to recommend approval or denial of credit applications and provide written and verbal decision and documentation to support the lending decision. This role is located at our Dallas, TX branch and reports directly to the SVP of Operations.
Essential Job Functions:
- Sound and timely credit decisions in accordance with FNMA/FHLMC/FHA and VA guidelines.
- Underwriting decisions in accordance with investor and company guidelines.
- Contribute to help maintain program procedures and training within the underwriting department.
- Communicate changes or deviations from the standard guidelines to the Underwriting manager for approval to ensure company compliance.
- Monitor underwriting quality and address deficiencies.
- Provide problem resolution and respond to internal and external escalations within scope of authority.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified, and they may change at any time
Required Experience & Skills
- 10 plus years of underwriting experience
- Full understanding of FNMA/FHLMC guidelines with strong experience in FHA guidelines
- Knowledge and understanding of lending process, including applicable federal and state law.
- Principles of business administration and organization as necessary to research and recommend improvements to lending administrative operations, systems, and procedures.
- Practices for gathering, compiling and summarizing information from a variety of internal and external sources.
- Principles of tracking and report preparation.
- Computer applications related to the work, including word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, and vendor applications needed to obtain additional data.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates and those in contact during the course of work.
- 0-2 years: 15 days
- 3-5 years: 20 days
- 5+ years: 25 days
- 1 additional day of PTO for every year after 5
Pre-Employment Screening Includes:
- Credit Check
- Criminal Background Check
- Past Employment & Social Security Verification
Meet Some of Oak Mortgage's Employees
As Communications Manager, Heather acts as a liaison between internal departments and external company communications, ensuring the world knows what Oak Mortgage is all about.
Back to top