Ground Terminal, System Engineer
The Ground Terminal Engineer is responsible for providing satellite terminal hardware and system level technical expertise in the development, deployment, and support of O3b's Satellite Gateways and customer terminals. The Terminal Engineer ensures O3b’s ground network has the highest quality terminal equipment which reliably meets system performance requirements and customer expectations.
Key Areas of Responsibility and Accountability
- Support the engineering team by developing and documenting Gateway and Ground Terminal requirements, specifications, and interfaces for antennas, RF equipment, modems, signal processing and network equipment.
- Provide technical support to subcontractors and vendors developing O3b compatible antennas, RF components, baseband and networking equipment
- Organize, review, create, and maintain terminal design documentation to include specifications, drawings, bill of material, installation and troubleshooting guides, field bulletins, and vendor materials
- Develop, validate, and conduct of integration and test methods and procedures for Gateway and Ground Terminals at the component, subsystem, and system levels.
- Develop, validate and conduct implementation, integration, installation, and certification processes for complete terminal systems.
- Support Terminal installation efforts by providing technical review and guidance for proposed customer installations and engineering level technical support to installers during installation and performance evaluation.
- Support Terminal Operation, Maintenance, and Sustainment programs by providing onsite performance evaluation, problem resolution, and post-installation inspections as needed.
- Support the engineering and development of evolving architectures and designs that improve the Installation, Operations, Support, and Maintenance aspects of O3b Gateways and Customer Terminals.
- US Citizen, Green Card holder or US Permanent Resident
- Bachelor degree Engineering, Aerospace, Computer Sciences or similar
Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- Good command of MS Office package (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems
- Working knowledge of high level scripting languages such as Python, Perl, Bash, DOS Batch, etc.
- Strong technical drawing skills (Visio, CAD, etc)
- Strong client interface skills, Government or support contractor experience is a plus
- Demonstrated performance as a reliable team player
- Self-starter with a high level of personal accountability, can work independently
- Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing requirements and objectives and come up with practical ideas for dealing with them
- Sense of urgency, and the ability to make decisions and take responsibility for them
- Self-disciplined person who can handle details
- Minimum 5 years of experience directly related to the duties of this position
- Direct engineering experience with satellite ground terminals
- Previous experience with tracking antennas, preferred
- General knowledge of telecommunications network connectivity and implementation, strong knowledge of IP communication and protocols preferred
- Experience with configuration, operation, and testing of antennas, RF, Modems, Network components, and terminal cables and systems; experience with tracking antennas a plus
- Excellent understanding of telecommunications satellite technologies utilizing GEO, MEO or LEO satellites
- Experience designing, implementing and supporting custom satellite terminals; Ka-Band experience a plus
- Experience performing basic RF analysis in support of satellite terminal design and test
- Experience with NMS, satellite modems, and Monitoring and Control systems
- Experience working in a team environment
Only candidates who have a legal authorization to work in the U.S.A. (US citizens, Green Card holders or Permanent residents) will be considered for this role.
- O3b Networks conducts background checks, including references check for all final applicants.*
Back to top