- Toronto, Canada
Nylas is a pioneer and leading provider of productivity infrastructure solutions for modern software. Over 50,000 developers worldwide use the Nylas platform to quickly and securely build productivity features into their applications. With Nylas, developers get unprecedented access to rich communications data from their end-users, pre-built workflows that automate everyday tasks, embeddable UI/UX components for fast front-end development, and comprehensive security features - all delivered via a suite of powerful APIs that make integration easy.
Who We Are
Nylas was founded in 2013 and has raised over $175M to date from Tiger Global, 8VC, Spark Capital, Slack, and more; as well as individual investors including Patrick Collison, Co-Founder and CEO of Stripe, John Collison, President and Co-Founder of Stripe, Sebastian Siemiatkowski, CEO of Klarna, and Tony Fadell. Developers around the world use Nylas to quickly and securely build email, scheduling, and work automation features into their applications. Nylas customers include Upwork, Wix, Freshworks, Lever, Dialpad, Ceridian, and Move.com.
Nylas is a BIG advocate for the well-being of its employees, which is why we have embraced a People First philosophy. It’s about giving more autonomy and flexibility to our employees. It’s not about when, where or how the work is accomplished; it’s about adopting a mindset of velocity and trust when tackling the work. It’s about respecting individual working styles, disabilities, and personal schedules, but also ensuring everyone has a better work-life balance. The outcomes will always be more important than the physical location.
Nylanauts have the ability to decide the best workspace or environment that will result in more ideas, engagement, creativity, focus, collaboration, and productivity. Why? Because we want our employees to be great; because we are focussed on being a high-performing team. To achieve this mission, we remove barriers and offer more autonomy. So, Nylanauts are encouraged to find those environments that inspire them to be great. This means Nylanauts can work from the slopes of Montana or from the beaches of Italy.
And if Nylanauts want to work from an office in one of our hubs (San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London), they can! The workspace is there to be utilized.
So, if you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product, and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you. Want to know more? Check us out on Comparably and Great Place to Work!
Fastest Growing Companies (Inc 500)
2020 Great Place to Work (Great Place to Work)
2020 Best Places for Professional Development (Comparably)
2020 Happiest Employees (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Compensation (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Perks & Benefits (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Work-Life Balance (Comparably)
About the role
Nylas is working on a next-generation data platform. You will be involved in building out the new infrastructure on top of a more modern stack that offers horizontal scalability and improved operability. In addition, you will help design and implement data pipelines that feed into the AI/ML models and data warehouse.
You need to not only understand how to operate, administer, and maintain databases but also how to really teach our people how to think about our databases. We don’t want to do everything for our developers; we want them to be doing things for themselves. But to do that, we need to teach them some of our specialized knowledge on database subjects to do what they need to do with our databases without having to go through us - where that makes sense. Some things that are particularly fiddly or difficult we would probably want to hold on to for ourselves.
- Maintain, scale, and administer our large sharded MySQL database environment to be operational 24/7 (more than 100TB of DB storage, 71 primary-replica pairs, hosting 200 shards!)
- Ensure our clusters are healthy, scaling, performant, and cost-effective
- Enforce security and auditing practices to maintain DB integrity
- Help teach and encourage smart database practices
- Improve automation of our various database systems to help enable self-service (when it makes sense), and implement self-healing and resiliency
- Improve automated backup and restore systems
- Improve alerting - if it alerts and isn’t actionable, it’s not an alert! If something goes wrong and we don’t get alerted, we need a new alert!
- Experiment and recommend new database engine upgrades and entirely new data stores (when they make sense)
- Document current DB processes/architecture to help plan for the future
- A few years of operating large-scale relational database systems (20+ servers)
- Strong proficiency in MySQL database management including
- Performance tuning, query optimization, index tuning
- Maintaining HA solutions using mha, orchestrator
- Setting up monitoring dashboards with meaningful metrics to help identify usage/performance trends
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git(Version Control)
- Knowledge of MySQL features, limitations, and underlying storage engines
- Familiarity with other SQL/NoSQL databases such as PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, Vitess
- Basic understanding of developer technologies - Python, Ansible, AWS, Terraform
- Nice-to-have - experience building out data pipelines using Spark, Kafka, kubeflow, Beam, Dataflow
- Nice-to-have - ProxySQL experience
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- Healthcare: 90% of medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
- Retirement Plan: 401k & RRSP with a company match (super rare for a startup)
- Holidays: 14 paid annual holidays (New Year’s Day, Family Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Indigenous People's Day, etc)
- Education Grant: annual learning & development perk
- Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
- Voting/Election PTO: 4 hours of paid time off to vote in person or volunteer at a polling place
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states/provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state/province where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.
Back to top