Systems Administrator - NPR Digital Services
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Essential Duties Include
DevOps Engineer/ Linux Systems Administrator is primarily responsible for managing, monitoring and automating operations of a high-availability, high-scalability server infrastructure, performing in-depth performance tuning, as well as hardware troubleshooting and maintenance when necessary.
What we are looking for:
- Creativity, initiative and acute attention to detail
- Thirst for innovation and “thinking outside the box”.
- Vigor for automating everything repetitive.
- Obsession with software scalability and performance under high loads.
- Love for using and contributing to open-source software.
- Honesty, friendly attitude and good sense of humor.
We are looking for a talented and knowledgeable DevOps Engineer / Linux System Administrator with DevOps experience: someone skilled in and passionate about Linux, server, network and storage infrastructure as well as automation. We are looking for a person who learns fast and can figure things out independently—can show us a better way of managing, monitoring and continuously deploying complex systems to the web.
We run a highly reliable and scalable Linux-based private infrastructure with a virtualized fleet of servers deployed to multiple geo-locations. We are passionate users of and contributors to the open-source software. Current application stack includes: Java, PHP and Node.js software talking to MySQL and ElasticSearch, as well as: various document databases and key/value stores.
- Must have 3-5 years relevant work experience
- Fluency in Linux system administration (preferably in Debian/Ubuntu)
- Fluency in Linux scripting: shell scripting, lightweight PHP and/or Perl scripting.
- Fluency in administering Apache and/or Nginx web-servers
- Extensive experience administering Linux in a virtualization environment.
- MySQL administration and troubleshooting experience
- Experience with clustered file system technologies such as Isilon, Gluster, etc
- Experience with TCP/IP networking technologies (routing, switching, Cisco, Brocade, F5, etc)
- Experience with content delivery networks such as Akamai and Limelight.
- Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS, Rackspace, Openstack, etc
- Solid track record of deploying and scaling redundant infrastructure
- Experience with document databases (preferably MongoDB)
- Experience working with at least one of:
- Proven ability to write clear, concise documentation
- Cares greatly about automation and has little tolerance for repetitive manual work
- Ability and willingness to travel to and from hosting facilities in the Boston region (primarily Somerville), occasionally transporting servers
Bonus Points for:
- Experience working with a version control system (SVN or Git preferred).
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Nagios, Zabbix, Cacti, etc.
- Advanced scripting/programming chops.
- “Addiction” to building fault-tolerant, highly reliable systems.
- We are a Linux and Mac-friendly group, if that’s your kind of thing.
- We are located in Boston’s Innovation district in South Boston. We are a 10-minute walk to South Station and within 15 minutes of a great range of restaurants, retail, and culture around the Fort Point Channel and Seaport Districts.
- We are diverse, lifelong learners.
- We strongly believe in and follow a culture that is open, transparent, inclusive, and collaborative.
- We are a friendly bunch and expect the same from you, too.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Meet Some of NPR's Employees
Product Manager, NPR Mobile
Jennifer has turned her mild iPhone obsession into an advantage: She manages the production of NPR’s beautiful—and content-rich—iOS apps.
Back to top