Supervising Planning Editor-All Things Considered
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
All Things Considered is the most listened-to afternoon drive-time, radio news program in the country. If you are a journalist with a strong track record in editing and managing projects, and you want to be part of a team that produces a program where ideas matter and smart journalism is the goal, come join us. This role is a critical position. You will lead our hosts, producers and editors in long-form, long-range stories. If you are driven, curious, skeptical, detail-oriented, mad for finding the richest storylines in our country and our world, we want you to join us.
Working specifically with our award-winning hosts - hosts who are beloved and trusted by our audience - you will lead assignments on everything from a remote town underwater in India to an opioid riddled city in the U.S. Our program is as committed to the latest breaking news as we are to the meme that's making everyone laugh lately. This job is the perfect marriage of your deep passion for news and your skills in long-form storytelling.
Essential Duties Include
- Edits host interviews, reported stories, and other program content. Leads hosts and producers in developing story ideas, editing audio and producing news reports, features and special projects.
- Works with hosts and producers to determine proper approach to stories, subjects to be discussed and individuals to be interviewed.
- Tracks ongoing flow of news and recommends specific stories and areas of coverage.
- Guides program producers on content, length and style considerations as they affect journalistic integrity.
- Ensures that all material aired meets NPR programs’ standards and practices, including standards of fairness, objectivity and balance.
- Assists with coordinating ATC coverage with desk editors and other NPR departments.
- Collaborate with digital news to maximize show content across all platforms.
- Supervises ATC staff as assigned by the Executive Producer.
- Manages and evaluates staff performance, including providing regular feedback and guiding career development.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- At least eight years’ experience as a news reporter, news editor or news producer, including work on breaking news and daily news coverage, the generation of story ideas and the research and development of stories.Detailed knowledge of current events, including domestic and international news.
- Thorough knowledge of news and feature reporting techniques and demonstrated writing and verbal skills.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under daily deadline pressure.
- Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- A minimum of 5 years of thorough knowledge of broadcast writing and audio production preferred.
- Previous experience editing and working with hosts and producers.
- Experience with digital audio production.
- Experience working in/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system.
- Previous managerial experience.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
Do you "Like" us? Follow us on Facebook at This Is NPR. You can also follow us on Twitter at @NPRjobs, as well as #NPRlife for "behind the scenes" tweets about life at NPR from our employees.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Meet Some of NPR's Employees
Editor, Digital News
NPR’s Morning Edition and All Things Considered are just too good to only live on the airwaves. Tanya turns the content from these award-winning radio programs into multimedia for NPR’s site, and adds new content too.
Back to top