Staff Writer, Hip-Hop (Reporter I)
Want to work at one of the world’s leading music journalism organizations? Come join us at NPR Music, where our work reaches millions of viewers, listeners and readers every week. From our stories on national news programs to our popular Tiny Desk video series, NPR Music delivers our international audience an unmatched array of news, video, podcasts and music recommendations on a variety of platforms, including the radio, the web, social and streaming services. NPR Music and our partner public radio stations are devoted to covering a dynamic breadth of genres that together represent the American and global music landscape.
NPR Music is looking for a full-time writer with editing chops to helm NPR’s hip-hop coverage. As a member of NPR Music, you’ll be reporting and writing cultural commentary for the 10 million people who visit NPR.org each week, as well as the 26 million who listen to our broadcast news programs. The successful candidate will help shape NPR Music’s editorial vision and curate performances for the Tiny Desk series and live events around the country. You’ll have the freedom to recruit and edit freelance contributors to NPR.org. You’ll need to be able to produce on deadline, think snack-sized and long-form, and engage with the communities on our various social platforms. The position can be located in Washington, D.C., or New York City.
Essential Duties Include
- Write, produce and edit hip-hop news stories on deadline
- Plan coverage for major music news events
- Pitch and report hip-hop music stories for NPR newsmagazines and the NPR One app
- Conceive and help execute large-scale editorial projects that elevate NPR Music and grow our audience
- Curate hip-hop for NPR Music’s recommendation verticals
- Other duties as assigned
- At least 4 years of experience in multiplatform journalism, with published bylines focusing on hip-hop and the intersection of music and culture in major publications
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated ability to write cultural commentary
- Excellent writing and editing capabilities
- Experience working on daily deadlines
- Good news judgement
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with others
- Strong communication skills
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. Include a cover letter, resume and five samples of your work that demonstrate why you’re the right person for this position.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top