Social Media Strategist, Morning Edition (Production Assistant)
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Morning Edition is looking for a creative social media strategist to steer our social conversations no matter where they occur. More than half of NPR.org’s traffic comes from social platforms, and the number only continues to grow.
The successful candidate will cultivate communities on Morning Edition’s existing social platforms, and execute plans to strategically expand our social properties. We are looking for someone who is dedicated to build on the show’s news-driven content to grow and engage our digital audience more effectively.
NPR is committed to meeting our audience wherever they are, and the Morning Edition Social Media Strategist is a vital part of that mission.
Essential Duties Include
- Work with the Morning Edition management team to steer and develop our social strategy
- Maintain and curate Morning Edition Social properties on a daily basis
- Craft social engagement strategies around special projects, newsmaker interviews and field work
- Collaborate with Digital News and Visuals teams to plan and execute engaging digital presentation of showside reporting, especially special host projects/trips
- Develop and share social best practices with the Morning Edition staff
- Collaborate with analysts and product managers in tracking key social metrics
- Work with the NPR news social media team on cross-departmental projects, including digital video
Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or a writing-intensive discipline (or the equivalent combination of education and experience)
- At least two years’ experience managing social media channels for a major news/media brand and demonstrated ability to participate in, contribute to and grow online communities.
- Strong communication skills
- Familiarity with navigating a variety of content management systems
- Ability to craft a comprehensive, cross-platform social strategy
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
- Ability to document internal processes and analyze audience data
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions
- Ability to both work independently and collaborate with others
- Previous graphic design experience
- Familiarity with social video and digital video editing production
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
Do you "Like" us? Follow us on Facebook at This Is NPR. You can also follow us on Twitter at @NPRjobs, as well as #NPRlife for "behind the scenes" tweets about life at NPR from our employees.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Back to top