Senior Editor, Code Switch
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR’s audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
As Senior Editor for NPR’s Code Switch team, you are responsible for assigning and editing radio and blog stories and for one of the country’s best podcasts. This job calls for someone who can think conceptually and guide short- and long-term storytelling from idea to execution. You’ll need solid experience in audio and narrative storytelling with the skills that help deepen and enrich the work of colleagues. You’ll work in close daily consultation with the team’s leader, the senior supervising producer/editor, to determine the best platform for every idea.
Essential Duties Include
- Oversee the editorial process for audio stories and podcasts, and edit some blog-only stories, working in concert with the senior supervising producer/editor to craft coverage plans and nurture story ideas
- Coach and develop story and podcast ideas for daily, weekly, and longer-term projects
- Work in cooperation with other editors on desks and shows to plan and execute coverage that originates with the Code Switch team
- Coordinate with the visuals unit and other newsroom departments to support audio and digital storytelling
- Assist the senior supervising producer/editor where needed in editing the Code Switch blog and monitoring email and social media engagement
- Edit original and broadcast-based stories and blog posts on a daily basis, including text, headlines, photographic elements and audio to enhance the presentation.
- Contribute blog posts and original reporting and writing for the digital audience.
- Produce and/or creates digital news packages, working with shows and desks to initiate ideas; researches and/or reports and writes stories; identifies and edits photos.
- Assigns, develops and edits original stories from other NPR staff and from freelancers.
- Work with the Visuals team to create multimedia elements, including videos, photo galleries and interactives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of 5 years in audio storytelling and/or editing
- A minimum of 3 years in editorial leadership and decision-making
- Wide-ranging familiarity with current issues involving race, ethnicity and culture in the U.S.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and executing editorial plans beyond daily stories
- Fluency across social media platforms
- Web publishing software.
- Producing on digital audio workstations.
- Demonstrated experience responding to trending news stories.
- Proficiency with audio editing software and a variety of computer systems
- Ability to work smoothly across diverse racial/ethnic cultures
- Proven ability to report, write and edit long-form digital stories.
- Demonstrated skills in editing and headline writing.
- Thorough knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Willingness to learn skills necessary to work on digital platforms; ability to adapt to changes in equipment, software and workflow.
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under tight time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
- Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- A broad range of general news knowledge.
- Ability to occasionally travel.
- Ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Meet Some of NPR's Employees
Editor, Digital News
NPR’s Morning Edition and All Things Considered are just too good to only live on the airwaves. Tanya turns the content from these award-winning radio programs into multimedia for NPR’s site, and adds new content too.
Back to top