Senior Desktop Engineer
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. Innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
National Public Radio seeks a strong Senior Desktop Engineer to contribute to the operations of the IT division by engaging in IT process and project activities. These activities will contain various tasks in areas such as technical support, operations, infrastructure maintenance, database administration, analysis, applications development, documentation, and project management.
Essential Duties Include
- Performs Desktop Engineering functions, including desktop security, patching, scripting, package deployment and system management
- Administers desktop management and develop PC imaging policies, procedures.
- Creates, tests, validates, documents, updates, and maintains desktop and laptop images
- Creates strategies for desktop deployments and software upgrades to include repackaging, distribution, and rollback, utilizing low-bandwidth and zero touch methodologies
- Installs, maintains, and upgrades imaging desktop applications, which may include network infrastructure, end user computer infrastructure, application systems
- Designs, builds, tests and deploys application packages utilizing packaging tools and scripting utilities
- Provides PC support organization with assistance in utilizing full functionality of desktop management application, including asset management, remote control (via LAN, WAN and internet) and profile migration.
- Provides IT management with regular reports related to deployments, asset inventory and software compliance. Communicate project status and take lead on small and large scale of projects.
- Installs, test, maintains, and upgrades corporate anti-virus application, deploys Windows OS and application security patches, hot fixes and updates.
- Troubleshoot Apple computers in Windows enterprise environment. Provide maintenance and support of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Parallels on Mac OS X. Performs imaging and deploy Mac Pros, MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs and iPhones.
- Mentors and develop junior Service Desk and PC Support technicians include end-users.
- Establish and manage relationships with consultants and vendors of information and telecommunications technology
- Respond to critical equipment issues, as part of an On-Call rotation (24x7x365 basis).
Bachelor’s degree require with a concentration or major in engineering or computer science or an Associate degree and 3 years direct career experience in information technology disciplines, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
MCP, MCSE, MCITP, SCCM required and Apple Certified Associate or Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT) Certification desired.
Minimum Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
The candidate selected will have a majority of the following skills, abilities, competencies and knowledge:
- Minimum 5 years experience with SCCM, MDT Extensive knowledge of build PC image
- Extensive knowledge application deployment tools such as MDT, App-V and SCCM, with emphasis on Windows, OS Deployment, Application Deployment, and Patching
- Minimum 5 years experience with Desktop Engineering and architectural support planning and strong focus on the technical elements of desktop, Microsoft AD, and GPO
- Minimum 5 years experience supporting desktop hardware, software and strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to gather all relevant information, identify problems, and implement solutions quickly
- Provide Apple Hardware Technical Support, knowledge of supporting and repairing Apple systems (OS and iOS)
- Experience administering Desktop Security Suite such as McAfee, Kaspersky, Sophos etc. and familiarity with IT data security principles
- Project management experience, specifically leading large-scale desktop projects and ability to multi-task and be flexible enough to quickly change priorities in a fast pace environment
- Professional work ethic with the ability to meet commitments and deadlines and take ownership of problems
- Strong on documentation and mentor end-users
- Ability to work independently as well as effectively in a team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to document technical processes and procedures
- Strong customer service skills. Ability to multi-task and attention to detail prioritize tasks
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top