Retail Associate (Part-Time)
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
The NPR Commons is the cornerstone of the visitor experience at NPR’s world headquarters here in Washington DC. Our premiere gift shop is the destination for all things public radio and serves the fans, employees and guests of NPR Monday through Friday. We are seeking a highly motivated part time employee to join our retail team for up to 30 hours per week. As an ambassador of NPR, you will focus every day on creating the best experience for every visitor. In return, you get to work among some of the most talented and engaged people in a highly creative environment where at least once a day someone will tell you how much they love NPR!
You will be expected to work from 12pm -6pm Monday through Friday but should be available to work between 10 am and 6pm weekdays and you should be available for occasional special events which may require some rare evenings beyond 6pm.
This holiday season, we are open Nov. 23rd, the day before Thanksgiving, but we are closed Nov. 24th and Nov. 25th, Thanksgiving and the Friday after. We are also open December 23rd but we are closed December 26th-30th. You are required to be in town and available every day that we are open through the holidays.
Essential Duties Include
- Support the retail manager as needed
- Ensure customer satisfaction
- Open and close the store independently as needed
- Receive merchandise
- Restock and maintain the sales floor
- Must be at least 18 years old
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Some higher education preferred.
- 3+ years retail experience and 1+ year key holder experience required.
- Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about NPR
- Ability to quickly learn new procedures and processes
- Strong organizational and follow-through skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to develop relationships with customers and coworkers
- Ability to positively and proactively handle customer concerns
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks independently
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, able to stand for extended periods of time, and must be comfortable using stepstools and ladders.
- Cash handling experience and a comprehension of basic inventory controls are required.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top