Music News Editor (Associate Editor)
Want to work at one of the world’s leading music journalism organizations? Come join us at NPR Music, where our work reaches millions of viewers, listeners and readers every week. From our stories on national news programs to our popular Tiny Desk video series, NPR Music delivers our international audience an unmatched array of news, video, podcasts and music recommendations on a variety of platforms, including the radio, the web, social and streaming services. NPR Music and our partner public radio stations are devoted to covering a dynamic breadth of genres that together represent the American and global music landscape.
News on the web moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. That’s why NPR Music is hiring someone to oversee our music news coverage. We’re looking for a music lover with experience assigning, editing and writing short news stories. Topics could range from the cultural zeitgeist (“Frank Ocean Releases MiniDisc version of Blond(e)”) to viral stories (“Watch Middle School Kids Play A Led Zeppelin Medley ... On Xylophones”) to reports about the state of the music industry. The successful candidate will work with NPR Music’s array of genre experts and reporters and NPR’s social media team to establish NPR.org as an up-to-the-minute source for music news.
Essential Duties Include
- Assign, edit and write music news stories for NPR.org on deadline, multiple times a day
- Manage music news calendar on a daily basis and plan for major events
- Coordinate music obituary coverage for NPR.org
- Work with NPR Music’s social media expert to develop effective social strategy for NPR Music fans to connect with our journalists and become part of the conversation.
- Other duties as assigned
- At least 3 years of print/digital editing experience
- Bachelor’s degree or a writing-intensive discipline or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proficient writing and editing capabilities
- Proven track record of breaking news in the music industry
- Developed a wide rolodex of contacts and industry sources
- Experience building a social audience
- Experience with digital news production, writing headlines, and search engine optimization
- Passionate about music, with knowledge of multiple genres
- Strong communication skills
- Good news judgement
- Energetic, proactive person who has the ability to both work independently and collaborate with others
- Experience writing on deadline on a daily basis
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. Include a cover letter, resume and five samples of your work that demonstrate why you’re the right person for this position.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top