Interaction Designer, NPR Distribution Information Services
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. Innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
NPR Distribution manages the Public Radio Satellite System® (PRSS), the distribution network through which more than 450,000 hours of news, music, and specialized audience programming are delivered every year to more than 1,600 public radio stations throughout the United States who reach 95% of the U.S. population.
The PRSS program distribution system, “ContentDepot®,” utilizes satellite technology for its primary delivery platform, as satellite continues to provide the most cost-effective and reliable means of delivering high quality audio programming to a diverse national network of radio stations.
NPR Distribution also operates NPR Satellite Services which sells excess satellite transponder capacity to non-public radio users to help offset the costs of operating the PRSS.
The Interaction Designer contributes to the ContentDepot user experience, representing our customer base to gather, analyze, and validate user and business goals, create UX prototypes, and conduct user research to ensure digital products are intuitive, usable, and delightful. The role requires close collaboration with Product Management and Software Development teams to define and implement interaction design for new features and products.
The Interaction Designer reports to the Product Manager on the Functional Design team.
Essential Duties Include
- Lead user research, from designing and conducting usability testing to integrating research insights
- Create personas, storyboards, wireframes, and user flows to effectively communicate design ideas.
- Develop mock-ups and interactive prototypes in support of usability testing.
- Implement and use new technologies, products, and tools used in the application design environment.
- Establish best practices and implement and maintain website styles/themes for multiple products.
- Translate wireframes into reusable and scalable HTML/CSS/JS in collaboration with backend developers.
- Leverage web analytics to understand and enhance the user experience.
- Debug and troubleshoot cross-browser issues on multiple products.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, or related field plus three or more years work experience (or equivalent).
- 3-5 years of experience as a professional interaction designer or equivalent experience
- Experience conducting user research and documenting insight from user interviews and usability tests; ability to analyze results and make strategic recommendations.
- Experience developing wireframes, user flows, and prototypes.
- Proven track record of creating interactive, high-fidelity mock-ups.
- Experience designing for responsive websites.
- Experience working in highly collaborative environment and agile development process
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Familiarity with usability testing methodologies and best practices.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch or other wire-framing and mock-up tools; a portfolio that shows an ability to apply visual design principles to software applications.
- Experience creating interactive wireframes using tools such as Axure and Invision and utilizing prototypes to illustrate user flow and elicit user feedback.
- Proficiency in front-end languages (HTML, CSS, JS); experience with SASS, Git, Jira, Vaadin, OSX, Linux preferred.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills
- Understanding of common analytics software such as Google Analytics as it applies to user experience
- Experience with the operational environment of broadcast network and radio stations preferred.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Meet Some of NPR's Employees
Editor, Digital News
NPR’s Morning Edition and All Things Considered are just too good to only live on the airwaves. Tanya turns the content from these award-winning radio programs into multimedia for NPR’s site, and adds new content too.
Back to top