Digital Engagement Editor II-Digital News
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. Innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Oversees NPR.org home page and posts content to NPR’s main social media channels. Continuously keeps track of breaking news events and uses news judgment about when to send news alerts in collaboration with top newsroom editors. Ensures that NPR’s presentation is up-to-date on mobile platforms, including NPR News App and Apple News. Crafts brand-appropriate language on NPR social channels to engage audience and monitors developments with social media companies. Edits headlines and text on a wide range of subjects to ensure NPR’s content is engaging and reaches a wide audience online. Checks stories’ headlines to maximize search engine optimization and ensure story pages provide related links and content. Works closely with reporters and editors to develop social media “launch” plans for digital stories. Also assists in projects with Digital Media team to improve NPR’s digital editorial products.
Essential Duties Include
- Ensures homepage and social channels accurately convey NPR news content in a timely way.
- Writes, edits and sends breaking news alerts when appropriate.
- Edits headlines, teasers, and photographic elements of stories as appropriate to maximize audience engagement on all platforms.
- Uses sound editorial judgment and an understanding of NPR’s audience to determine story presentation; chooses stories, audio, photos and other visual elements to be displayed on the home page and social channels.
- Analyzes metrics, including Chartbeat and Google Analytics, to understand and better serve the digital audience.
- Copy edits and proofreads stories, display copy and other text for spelling, grammar, factual accuracy, style, punctuation, fairness, balance and tone.
- Ability and willingness to work occasional nights and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent work experience.
- At least six years of experience as a reporter, editor, or producer
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated skill in news-writing techniques
- Considerable skill in feature and news copy editing
- At least two years of experience in editorial decision-making
- Skill in oral presentation
- A broad range of general news knowledge
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions
- Ability to share responsibilities with other members of a cooperative team
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as needed
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
- Demonstrated ability to edit reporter pieces to conform to the editorial needs of any NPR News content
- Demonstrated ability to organize and disseminate information and to coordinate daily news coverage
- Demonstrated initiative and self-starting skills, ability to work independently
- Previous daily news experience
- Previous experience in Digital Media
- Knowledge of audio production
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Meet Some of NPR's Employees
Editor, Digital News
NPR’s Morning Edition and All Things Considered are just too good to only live on the airwaves. Tanya turns the content from these award-winning radio programs into multimedia for NPR’s site, and adds new content too.
Back to top