Deputy National Editor, West
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
The Deputy National Editor,West is based at NPR West and has editorial responsibility for coverage of Western states and partnership for leadering coverage of National trends and breaking news. She/he supervises assignments and provides editorial guidance to staff, freelancers and production staff. This includes preparation of on-air material as well as content for digital and social platforms. This editor oversees the editorial integrity and quality of content, monitoring and evaluating staff performance; recommending new hires and providing editorial and administrative support to the Supervising Senior National Editor.
The Deputy National Editor,West is charged with building and maintaining relationships with NPR member stations in Western states to continue efforts to meld member stations and NPR collaboration to create one true network.
Essential Duties Include
- Manages editorial planning and coordination of coverage by providing editorial guidance to staff, stations, freelance reporters and production staff.
- Works with internal staff and stakeholders to determine proper approach to stories, subjects to be discussed and treated, and individuals to be interviewed.
- Builds and maintains relationships with NPR member stations to increase NPR’s focus on continuous collaboration.
- Supervises preparation of air and online material and is responsible for editorial integrity and quality of that material
- Monitors programming and provides critiques
- Prepares performance reviews of staff members under his or her supervision
- Makes hiring recommendations for staff under his or her supervision, in consultation with the Supervising Senior National Editor and others as designated
- Recommends salary levels of staff under his or her supervision, in consultation with the Senior National Editor
- Conducts outreach, answers correspondence, represents the unit in public forums, organizes internships, maintains station relations, and works with the promotion and public information departments
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- At least 10 years’ experience as a news reporter or editor, including demonstrated experience covering national news, including investigative stories, feature reports
- A minimum of 5 years’ management experience, with proven successes managing a diverse team of employees
- Strong familiarity with National affairs, including, but not limited to: Western issues, urban affairs, national security and lifestyle topics.
- Interest in regional politics and issues.
- Considerable skill in both news and feature editing
- Previous broadcast news experience
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top