Contract Web Developer
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
What we are looking for:
- Creativity, initiative, thirst for innovation and acute attention to detail
- Vigor for crafting well-tested, well-documented and elegantly structured code.
- Passion for standards-based web development and polyglot programming.
- Obsession with software scalability and performance under high loads.
- Love for using and contributing to open-source software.
- Honesty, friendly attitude and good sense of humor.
We are looking for a talented and knowledgeable Web Developer. A person passionate about polyglot programming, web technologies, database development, RESTful APIs; often things that have not reached mainstream, yet. We are looking for a person who both learns fast, but can also figure things out independently and show us better ways for building complex, highly scalable systems on the web.
Currently we are obsessed with Lean product development, responsive design, document databases, RESTful / Hypermedia APIs and machine learning.
Essential Duties Include:
Web Developer is primarily responsible for contributing to the creation, modification, and implementation of custom web applications and APIs within NPR Digital Media. Responsibilities also include assisting in the daily operations and maintenance of all of NPR Digital Media's systems and applications and assisting in the design and implementation of software products that address current and future requirements of NPR Digital Media.
- Basic skills required:
- Fluency in LAMP stack: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.
- Fluency in HTML5/CSS3, including media queries and Responsive Web Design techniques.
- Extensive experience working with content-management systems (preferably: popular open-source ones such as: WordPress or Drupal).
- Ability to work in Unix command-line over SSH terminal.
- Experience working with a version control system (SVN or Git preferred).
Bonus Points for:
- Every additional programming language and framework you are fluent in.
- Significant contributions to open-source projects
- Mad Node.js skills
- Addiction to writing code in Test-Driven Development style.
- We rely on and give back to the open source community
- Mac, Windows, whatever. Tell us which you prefer.
- We are diverse, lifelong learners and read omnivorously from NPR’s giveaway book shelf, regularly walk down the hall to Tiny Desk Concerts and tell coding jokes
- We are a friendly bunch and expect the same from you, too.
- Ours is a shiny, new LEED Gold certified building in the NoMA neighborhood of Washington, DC.
- Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Follow us on Twitter at @NPRjobs, as well as #NPRlife for 'behind the scenes' tweets from our colleagues.
Back to top