Accounts Payable Clerk
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and entertainment programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
The Accounts Payable Clerk will report to and support the Accounts Payable Supervisor in performing the weekly, monthly, and annual cash disbursement processes.
The Finance Division and Accounting Department cultures encourage transparency, honesty with and reliance on each other, to accomplish goals and tasks. Division and department member performance is measured by internal and external third parties based on the timely and accurate delivery of service so the division and department cannot tolerate an individual contributing less than their full commitment each and every day. The Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer emphasizes that we be viewed by our clients as trusted advisors.
Essential Duties Include
- Processing weekly cash disbursement requests which involves (a) verifying approval on all invoices/check requests, (b) coding invoices, (c) updating and maintaining vendor database, (d) auditing and verifying employee expense reports, (e) reconciling vendor statements and investigating vendor payment matters, (f) matching purchase orders against applicable support (e.g., vendor invoices, corporate purchase card, NPR staff purchase cards, etc.), (g) responding to questions and requests for information from NPR staff and third party vendors, (h) compiling payment information for NPR staff and third party vendors, and (i) maintaining accounts payable files.
- Enforce NPR cash disbursement compliance requirements and support existing internal control structure.
- Assist Accounts Payable team in reviewing and gathering data during the annual preparation of vendor Internal Revenue Service Forms 1099.
- Ability to shift priorities to achieve all high value work.
- Build productive relationships throughout the organization.
- Participate in developing the morale and spirit of the division team and support a workplace respectful of diversity.
- Serve as point of contact for NPR staff.
- Perform ad hoc analyses as requested.
- Maintain thorough and accurate files and documentation.
- Achieve individual, team, department, division, and organizational goals.
- Bachelor degree in accounting or a related field from a four-year accredited institution is a differentiating factor.
- Two to three years of detailed, hands-on experience in the cash disbursement process.
- Strong analytic, data entry, organization, and communication skills.
- Proficiency using PC and Microsoft Office software required (experience with Epicor, FRx, and Crystal systems a differentiating factor).
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of general ledger and other computer system applications, specifically with cash disbursement modules (experience with Epicor, FRx, and Crystal systems a differentiating factor).
- Ability to effectively work with a diverse team of individuals required.
- Detail-oriented, efficient and accurate.
- Above-average written/oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Effective collaborator.
- Capability to multi-task while ensuring important routine functions occur.
- Ability to contribute to the development of a strong Accounts Payable Team and Accounting department that reflects operational best practices.
- Rock-solid commitment to success.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top