Vice President, Intellectual Property - North America (Sandoz)
- Princeton, NJ
The VP, IP NA is a key leader within Sandoz responsible for strategic patent launch, IP BD&L support, and patent litigation.
You will manage a $15-30M USD budget and the relationship with external counsel. You will be a strategic business partner in the context of full IP matters and provides strategic legal and business insight to senior management, drives corporate objectives and growth and manages our top talent.
You will manage a team of approximately 10 patent attorneys, scientific advisors, paralegals and/or administrative staff; this includes the US and Canada IP organizations.
More specifically, you will:
Lead a team of patent attorneys, paralegals and scientific advisors in all strategic aspects and key tactical aspects of patent launch and litigation. Lead the team to manage a $15-30 million USD budget (forecast, control). Ensure professional development of associates to support patent launch and litigation and build high-performing team.
Apply deep expertise in US patent law and practice. •Apply strong knowledge of ANDA litigation, Hatch-Waxman Act and regulatory implications to product development and launch opportunities.
Shape the global IP function, including ensuring that all members of the function have a working understanding of US IP and litigation issues. Contribute significantly to creation and implementation of Division IP strategies, policies, guidelines, and objectives.
Take a leadership role with global functions to ensure US IP issues are addressed, and widely understood, including offering training.
Apply knowledge of intersection of patent and antitrust law to achieve sound patent infringement litigation settlements. Direct/hands on involvement in important litigation issues.
Function as an active participation in strategy, assessment and closing of BD&L/M&A deals to maximize understanding of IP (including Hatch-Waxman) value, concerns and strategy. Apply deep knowledge of business and healthcare industry to create and implement a strategic vision for the IP team in support of the business.
Undertake IP-related communications to senior management, functional management, key stakeholders and US organization that clearly explains complex concepts and inspires confidence.
Instill and champion quality and operational excellence standards for patent launch and litigation throughout the organization. Contribute cross-divisionally to IP direction and strategies, policy, guidelines and objectives.
Select and manage relationship with external counsel including first hand monitoring of their quality and performance.
Involve counterparts in Group IP, Group Competition/Antitrust, and the other divisions, as well as Head Global IP for Sandoz and Novartis on matters which require alignment and/or escalation.
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What you'll bring to the role:
• Juris Doctor from a recognized, accredited, U.S. law school
• Licensed to practice in at least one state or the District of Columbia with the ability to be licensed as an in-house counsel in New Jersey.
• 15 years of post qualification/prior industry and law firm relevant experience; several years experience in patent/legal matters in the pharmaceutical industry; several years of leadership experience; 4-6 years of experience in patent litigation and experience in cross functional working; managing Global/Regional/Senior management interaction.
• Demonstrated successful experience in evaluating and assessing complex Intellectual Property launch strategies.
• Experience managing product launches, and preferably including management of some ANDA litigations and Hatch Waxman issues.
• Expertise in scientific and technology matters.
• Exceptional management skills to attract retain and develop a highly skilled team.
• Record of managing constant improvement of processes and procedures throughout the department.
• Proven expertise and judgment in working through complex issues, including those with significant strategic risk to the company.
• Broad understanding of the business environment and capable of anticipating future challenges.
• Experience working in a strategic big picture mode, as well as tactically, including the capability to "roll up ones sleeves" regularly.
• Ability to work well cross-functionally and facilitate solutions on a timely basis and ensure best-practice sharing.
• Demonstrated client service orientation, recognizing and responding quickly, clearly and pragmatically to urgent situations and demanding clients.
• Strong executive presence, results oriented and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and highly demanding environment. Ability to quickly gain the trust and respect of senior executives.
• Excellent organizational skills; must be able to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
• Exceptional business presentation/communication skills, as well as accustomed to working with senior management.
• A resourceful, strategic and analytical thinker and creative problem solver who can help shape the future strategy of the IP portfolio and streamline the operations of Intellectual Property department.
• Able to respond to shifting priorities and work effectively in ambiguous or challenging situations.
Why consider Sandoz?
Our number 1 priority is to pioneer patient access to better healthcare. We are a company of firsts. 1st to develop an oral penicillin antibiotic. 1st to develop and launch biosimilars. 1st to launch an FDA-cleared digital therapeutic. And we never stop asking: how can we continue to pioneer access in an ever-more digital and global world?
The answers come when curious, courageous and collaborative people are empowered to ask new questions, make bold decisions and take smart risks.
Sandoz, a Novartis division, is a leader in generic and biosimilar medicines and a pioneer in digital therapeutics.
Join us, and help reimagine access to medicine.
Back to top