Senior Scientist - Mouse Cryopreservation (70%-80%*)
- Basel, Switzerland
50+ embryology projects are completed every year within Transgenic Services. This work represents a central task to our breeding facility for transgenic animals and is an important contribution to in vivo research in various research areas within the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR).
Within our flexible team, you will perform and further develop cryopreservation/re-vitalization of genetically modified mouse lines. In addition, you will also support genotyping analysis of internally bred mouse strains, if required.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Independently perform, evaluate and trouble-shoot embryo / sperm freezing, IVF, and transfer of embryos to fosters in context of a revitalization or rederivation experiments according to regulatory requirements (including in vivo work).
• Independent planning of all experimental works, including ordering of animals, performing and/or coordinating of level 0 and level 1 support.
• Ensuring accurate storage, documentation and reporting of cryopreservation samples.
• General organization and maintenance of the laboratory infrastructure (e.g. ordering of consumables, ensuring periodic maintenance of laboratory equipment).
What you will bring to the team:
• Lab Technician (apprenticeship) or BSc/MSc level
• Fluent in German and/or English
• 5+ years of experience in embryo / sperm freezing, in vitro fertilization (IVF) and rederivation experiments (including in vivo work).
• Experienced user of database and archiving systems for cryogenic samples.
• Working knowledge of mouse model types, transgene structures and strategies (e.g. inducible KO), Mendelian genetics
• Theoretical and/or practical knowledge about the process of transgenic and knockout mouse generation
• Experience in other methods in embryology (e.g. vasectomy, ICSI,..) or performing mouse genotyping protocols are a plus.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
*Some restrictions on flexible working options may apply and will be discussed during interview if applicable.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here:
Back to top