Senior Principal Scientist, Ophthalmology (Histopathologist/Biobank)
- Cambridge, MA
6000! That's the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
Who are we?
Our team of Ophthalmology researchers is dedicated to the discovery and development of the next generation of transformative therapies for diseases such as age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and glaucoma. Our integrated molecular phenotyping group combines precision molecular profiling techniques with sophisticated informatics analysis and validation, in order to better understand the molecular mechanisms of ocular disease.
As the leader of the Histopathology and Biobanking efforts, you will mentor a team of histology-focused associates and have a major impact on the trajectory of discovery and therapeutic development programs spanning multiple ocular diseases. You will collaborate across the organization to develop a comprehensive human ocular tissue biobank, with the ultimate goal of molecular phenotyping of ocular disease for new target discovery and therapeutic development.
What you'll be doing:
• Lead evaluation and development of new, cutting edge histopathology-driven techniques
• Mentor and support your team of associates in the interpretation of clinical and preclinical ocular pathology
• Build a comprehensive human ocular biosample acquisition, grading and stratification approach that addresses key research priorities
• Ensure that all human sample acquisition and use complies with company regulations and the highest legal and ethical standards
• Prioritize and deliver all work for the department within budget / resource constraints
• Role model leadership expectations and focus on associate career development
• Provide perspective on experimental go/no-go decisions and external collaborations
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What you'll bring to the role:
• PhD/DVM/MD and 3+ years of industry experience or equivalent exposure in a matrixed organization
• Experience with analysis of preclinical and clinical ocular anatomy and histology, and pathology of a wide variety of ocular diseases spanning the entirety of the eye, including glaucoma, AMD, and ocular surface diseases
• Curiosity and critical thinking skills that cultivate generating hypotheses around mechanisms of disease
• Expertise in experiment design and interpretation of results, and technical troubleshooting of problems
• Past history of establishing and maintaining working relationships with tissue banks, clinical research sites, and investigators for acquisition and characterization of samples
• Deep familiarity with handling/using sample tracking/LIMS systems and ensuring human samples are used efficiently, suitably, and in compliance with established standards
• Management experience: track record of career development, mentoring and leading reports at multiple levels within an organization
• Consistent record of managing and/or providing input to projects from early discovery through proof of concept trials in humans
• Familiarity/proficiency with newer histology-based precision profiling techniques, such as spatial transcriptomics or Nanostring/DSP is an advantage
• Experienced in core facility/platform leadership within industry or academia
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touch. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Back to top