Senior Expert Epidemiologist (80-100%*)
- Basel, Switzerland
80! The Quantitative Safety & Epidemiology team is responsible for 80 Novartis products! We are an interdisciplinary group in the global Patient Safety organization, and we help regulators, physicians and patients to understand the benefits and risks of assigned drugs, by asking the right questions and by applying the most appropriate scientific methods.
As Senior Expert Epidemiologist you will shape the epidemiology strategy of one or several drugs within a designated therapeutic area, and across the development life cycle.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Owning the implementation of innovative epidemiology approaches to evaluate the safety and benefit-risk profile of a drug based on data from multiple sources
• Designing, executing and reporting epidemiological studies using real-world databases and providing the scientific oversight for other non-interventional studies.
• Evaluating published evidence and positioning epidemiology information in context using quantitative methods and data visualizations.
• Providing scientific and methodological expertise on relevant data sources, study designs and analysis methods to evaluate safety risks and risk management activities.
• Responsibility for epidemiological sections of documents for Health Authorities
• Proposing and implementing improvement initiatives internally and externally in collaboration with epidemiology professionals in academia, industry and regulatory agencies
What you'll bring to the role:
• Master's degree or equivalent in epidemiology or related areas (PhD preferred)
• Fluent English (oral and written)
• 10+ years of experience in positions of growing responsibility in the Pharmaceutical Industry with 6+ years applying epidemiological principles and methodologies to drug development and life cycle management.
• Proven experience in leading scientific improvement/ change initiatives / direct reports. Excellent strategic skills. Natural leadership style with the ability to build successful partnerships at all levels
• Scientific curiosity combined with strong communication skills bridging scientific and business needs over different expertise areas
• Experience in designing, conducting, analyzing and interpreting epidemiological studies and working with large electronic health records databases. Computing ability, including knowledge of specialized epidemiological/statistical packages (advanced level, SAS or R experience desirable).
*Some restrictions on flexible working may apply and will be discussed at interview if applicable
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
Back to top