Principal Scientist I/II - Cardio & Metabolic Disease
- Cambridge, MA
18 million. That is the number of annual deaths globally due to Cardiovascular diseases. The Cardiovascular and Metabolic (CVM) Disease Area at NIBR in Cambridge, Massachusetts is committed to discovering transformative medicines to treat these disorders. We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced drug hunter who can lead drug development projects, contribute to the science of Cardiovascular and Metabolic disease and influence the strategic direction of the CVM Disease Department.
What you'll be doing:
• The successful candidate will lead one or more drug development projects in the field of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases from target concept to IND-enabling studies.
• Provide expertise in any of the fields of Heart Failure, Atherosclerosis, Arrhythmia, Obesity or Diabetes based on a required record of accomplishment (papers, patents, presentations) either with low molecular weight compounds or biologics (antibodies, nucleic acids, viruses).
• Identify targets to pursue in collaboration with colleagues, and moving those targets forward towards therapeutics.
• Recognize and leverage external collaboration opportunities that amplify the Department's research.
• Collaborate across the many disciplines required for drug development (medicinal chemistry, biologics development, safety, etc.).
• Mentor bench scientists and assure scientific rigor in your laboratory and project. The ability and interest to interact with and develop others is vital.
• With time and experience, the candidate will contribute to defining the strategic direction of the CVM department by interaction with the senior leadership team.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills are critical.
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
• PhD, MD, or MD/PhD degree in any area of biological science and/or clinical experience in CVM disease with a relevant research component is required. Highly accomplished candidates with experience in other areas of biological/clinical science, and enthusiastic about learning any of the above areas, will also be considered.
• Record of accomplishment during academic training (and early career, if applicable) is required.
• Experience following the literature in a relevant field is essential and productive interaction beyond the candidate's home lab is desired.
• The capacity to quickly grasp new concepts, findings and techniques and focus on detail.
• Basic computational data analyses skills.
• Be an excellent teammate, who demonstrates good communication skills and creative problem-solving capabilities, and enjoys working in a collaborative team-oriented environment.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touch. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Back to top