Principal Scientist – Cancer Therapeutics/ ADC - Novartis / GNF
- San Diego, CA
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of GNF history!
The mission of our Cancer Therapeutics Department is to deploy GNF's cutting-edge drug discovery platforms to discover revolutionary cancer medicines. As part of the Cancer Therapeutics Department, the role of a Principal Scientist I is to discover novel target biology in a way that informs the most effective therapeutic approach for a well-defined cancer patient population and to characterize the in vitro properties of the matched therapeutic within a multidisciplinary team environment.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Design and conduct experiments to identify novel targets with the potential to translate into innovative cancer therapies
• Partner with protein scientists and chemists to develop novel biotherapeutics and/or small molecules
• Design and develop in vitro cellular assays to characterize novel therapeutics and partner with in vivo biologists to assess pharmacodynamics and efficacy of therapeutic candidates in preclinical models.
• Partner with biologists, protein scientists, chemists, and engineers to discover and develop new platform technologies to further enable our drug discovery efforts
• Explore new methods for in vitro target identification and validation using genomic and small molecule approaches
• Work effectively as a co-leader in a cross-functional scientific team, influencing team decisions to speed project progression
• Present strategy and scientific findings to the department, governance boards, and NIBR global meetings
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What you'll bring to the role:
• Ph.D. in cancer biology, or other related fields
• 3+ years of post-Ph.D. experience studying cancer biology (industry or academic institution)
• A deep scientific understanding of tumor cell signaling and cancer cell biology as well as experience in biochemical assays and molecular / cellular biology
• Some knowledge of protein / antibody drug discovery
• Strong scientific and organizational leadership skills
• Ability to critically assess literature and mine public and internal databases
• Outstanding communication and mentoring skills
• Demonstrated potential to work in a highly-interactive and fast-paced drug discovery environment
Why consider Novartis?
927 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2017. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
Back to top