Principal IP Counsel-Head European Patent Oppositions
- Basel, Switzerland
300! That's the number of active European patent oppositions pending at the Novartis Group, with more than 50 added each year. The Head of EP Oppositions will lead our cross-functional working group and interact with our excellent European patent attorneys in their divisions to ensure that every opposition is best positioned for success.
Manage Novartis Group approach to European Patent Office oppositions, including superior knowledge and use of EPO best practices for success in defensive and offensive oppositions, training and coaching in-house attorneys, as well as law firm management; participate in litigation review processes as a highly contributing member of Group IP Litigation team.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Lead functional group-wide EP opposition team, collaborating with divisional opposition team members and colleagues to develop best-in-class strategies, cross-divisional alignment, and substantive arguments for key oppositions and appeals.
• Provide initial and on-going strategy review of EP oppositions with Divisional IP litigation teams, as well as second opinion on key EP opposition strategy and arguments, also in due diligence situations; operational or day-to-day management of some EP oppositions.
• Lead development of and/or develop critical trainings, mock hearings, and workshops for Legal and IP stakeholders regarding EP oppositions (including litigators and patent prosecutors), and coach and mentor internal European Patent Attorneys in preparing and arguing oppositions, and monitor and audit of overall opposition performance.
• Develop and manage top tier external counsel support for all oppositions, including selection of counsel, budgeting, and performance assessment.
• Interface with IP leaders and team members for US IPRs/PGRs and opposition-style proceedings in other jurisdictions, to coordinate for consistency across proceedings and to share key learnings.
• Participate in Group Litigation Review processes, including review and comment on divisional litigation proposals and related external opinions.
• Work with IP leadership (including Global Head IP Litigation, Global Head IP Policy, and Global Head IP Strategy) on special projects, including preparation of IP papers, positions, and comments to new policy and other IP initiatives.
• Advocate internally and externally for NVS positions, including relationship building with EPO; support other Group functions as needed and directed.
What you'll bring to the role:
• EQE, and national patent attorney qualification or legal equivalent and a scientific degree BA, BSc, Masters, or PhD in a science relevant to biopharmaceutical patent practice
• At least 12 years post-bar/EQE experience required, including at least 10 years of active participation in and argument of European Patent oppositions
• Significant exposure to and participation in litigation proceedings outside of the European Patent Office, preferably in European countries and the United States also demonstrated writing abilities and oral advocacy experience and fluency in English
Optional: Law school graduate and qualified attorney-at-law (Bar member) in common law jurisdiction, with legal doctorate (J.D. or equivalent).
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
Back to top