PhD/MS Computational Biologist, Oncology Data Science
- Cambridge, MA
1 purpose...to reimagine medicine! Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Inc. (NIBR) is seeking a computational biologist / bioinformatics analyst to join the Oncology Data Science group. Data Science provides computational biology expertise to the Oncology department, from target identification through early clinical development, for both targeted and immune therapies. We work at the cutting edge of science to solve important challenges in oncology and improve cancer patients' lives, leveraging both publicly available and internally generated expansive preclinical and clinical data sets. The successful candidate will be highly motivated, creative, and an effective collaborator.
The team's responsibilities include:
• Working closely with interdisciplinary teams of wet lab and dry lab collaborators to analyze and interpret high-dimensional biological data (e.g., bulk RNAseq, single-cell RNAseq, CRISPR screens, proteomics) to inform critical project decisions
• Implementing and developing state-of-the-art computational methods and data mining strategies to address key challenges in oncology drug discovery
• Identifying novel drug targets on cancer cells, immune cells, and/or other cell types in the tumor microenvironment
• Deepening our understanding of drug resistance and strategies to overcome it
• Formulating testable biological hypotheses and collaborating in the design of rigorous preclinical experiments
• Driving forward multi-disciplinary collaborations and projects, and establishing them as needed
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
• Ph.D. (or M.S. with equivalent experience) in computational biology, bioinformatics, data science, systems biology, statistics, computer science, or a related field
• Familiarity with fundamental concepts in bioinformatics, statistics, and cell biology
• Fluency in one or more programming languages (e.g., Python, R, MATLAB)
• Experience analyzing high-dimensional data sets
• Experience analyzing 'omics data (e.g., genomics, epigenetics, proteomics)
• Knowledge of cancer biology, genomics, and/or immuno-oncology
• Experience analyzing single-cell 'omics data (e.g., single-cell RNA-seq) preferred
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Back to top