1 purpose...to reimagine medicine!
The successful candidate is expected to lead biomarker assay development, and collaborate with CROs to validate clinical assays, monitor assay performance, and interpret results in the context of the clinical trial. The candidate will be expected to work with global multidisciplinary project teams to develop biomarker clinical strategies that advance Novartis oncology drug candidates. This individual will participate as a key member of pre-clinical project teams to generate molecular epidemiology data to inform the clinical strategy. The investigator role will build patient stratification hypotheses around public and internally generated data, develop and implement research plans utilizing all the cutting-edge translational tools available, communicate the results with the clinical, biomarker, and research teams, and together formulate a clinical path forward.
Your Responsibilities will include:
• Lead assay development for biomarkers across multiple platforms for readouts of mutations, transcripts, proteins and cell populations. Responsible for assay transfer to external CROs that might be used for exploratory clinical endpoints and patient selection/stratification.
• Collaborate with pre-clinical research teams with goal of developing fit-for-purpose biomarker assays for use in first-in-human oncology clinical trials
• Perform exploratory research on commercial and consented primary human samples.
• Lead effort for use of peripheral blood and other surrogate matrices for pharmacodynamic readouts
• Technical assessment, approval and monitoring of externally run biomarker assays, assessment and development of novel analytical platforms to address biomarker needs across both small molecule and immuno-oncology clinical programs
• Follow scientific literature and demonstrate initiative toward new approaches and innovative technical solutions. Provide strategic scientific input to project teams, lead and manage scientific associates to design and conduct experiments, to interpret and challenge experimental results in support of clinical biomarker assay development across multiple platforms.
• Represent the Oncology Translational Research group on early pipeline and clinical stage programs, including providing input on clinical biomarker strategy, reviewing in-stream clinical biomarker data and presenting findings and updates to leadership teams. Present results internally/externally. Write final reports and internal/external publications.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What You Will Bring to the Role:
• PhD Required in molecular biology, immunology, or relevant scientific field with 3 years post-doc experience in cancer biology.
• Strong bench background in molecular and cellular biology techniques, significant experience with and knowledge of lab platforms regarding their usability and limitations.
• Familiarity with cell-based readouts
• Advanced computer proficiency (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Spotfire) and ability to analyze large datasets.
• Experience in slide-based assays including IHC, fIHC and ISH is a plus.
• Excellent written and oral skills. An orientation towards strong teamwork, working both collegially and collaboratively is essential, as is the demonstrated ability to independently drive and champion projects in a matrix environment.
WHY CONSIDER NOVARTIS?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
Company / Legal Entity
Research & Development