Nephrology research Therapeutic Area Head
- Basel, Switzerland
Over 2 million! That's the number of people worldwide who currently rely on dialysis or kidney transplant to survive. This number may represent less than 10% of the actual number requiring treatment for kidney related illnesses.
Novartis is committed to cutting-edge translational research to discover and develop new therapeutics for patients with acute and chronic kidney disease. The Nephrology research group currently explores primary glomerular diseases, gene therapies for monogenic kidney diseases, and new approaches to treat polycystic kidney disease.
As the Nephrology Therapeutic Area Head for Disease Area X (DAx), you will contribute to NIBR's mission to advance the "new science of therapeutics" through innovation in therapeutic target and lead discovery, and enabling clinical progression of new therapeutic opportunities for kidney indications. You will lead a team of interdisciplinary scientists in Basel (Switzerland) and Cambridge MA (USA) tasked with
1. driving innovation and the discovery of novel targets and therapeutic leads in kidney disease
2. preclinical to clinical progression of innovative therapeutic leads in kidney disease
3. coordination of cross-functional, cross-site kidney disease activities and catalyze cross-DA/FA collaboration around translational research, drug discovery, and early clinical development.
Your key responsibilities:
• Lead a matrixed research group of 11 scientists (3 PhD direct reports who have 8 scientists reporting to them), and indirect reporting scientific collaborators (~30 scientists), to drive innovation in therapeutic target and lead discovery.
• Collaborate with Translational Medicine colleagues to define new clinical opportunities in kidney disease and recommends potential drug candidates for evaluation in those new indications
• Scientific partner to business development colleagues to evaluate external biotech and academic collaborations, to advance science, drug discovery and translational research
• Responsible for portfolio maturation and collaboration with the Portfolio Strategy Director to drive strategic planning, resourcing, and budget management
• Coordinate the Nephrology Strategic Working Group, an internal scientific advisory board including Novartis specialists in renal diseases, drug hunting, and clinical development
• Member of the DAx leadership team, helping to define the strategic direction of DAx; representing DAx in reviews, internal and external meetings
• Responsible for team development and talent management, fostering cross-functional collaborations and synergies to increase team work and time to impact
Your Key Performance Indicators will be innovation in target and therapeutic leads; preclinical to clinical progression of novel therapeutic leads, and advance in matrix science
This description is written for Associate Director; those with significant experience will be reviewed for Director.
• PhD, or MD with PhD-level research
• A completed postdoc and recognized achievements in kidney research including credible publications in international journals
• Significant relevant research experience (i.e. 10 years+) and publications after your PhD/postdoc from within biotech/pharma, including experience of line and project managing research scientists and having budget responsibilities. Ideally you have experience of line managing those who themselves are line managers
• Advanced project and people Leadership skills and experience, successfully influencing matrix/stakeholder management and teams in an interdisciplinary global environment
• Strong capabilities from having defined strategy and effective execution; strong operational, results and change agility
• Business-level / Fluent English; German advantageous
This position is written for Associate Director. For much stronger applicants, suitable adjustments may be possible for Director.
International family relocation is supported. The position will be in Basel or Cambridge: please confirm in your application letter if you wish to be considered for both locations.
About Disease Area X (DAx)
NIBR's DAx focuses on potentially transformative therapeutics that are outside the remit of other NIBR disease areas and has ~100 scientists and physicians working in Basel and Cambridge MA. The group's current research is on liver diseases, kidney diseases, and non-malignant blood diseases with teams working on each, plus exploratory Translational Profiling for disease characterization, target finding and biomarker discovery; Discovery and Translational Pharmacology developing and running preclinical disease models, and Project and Portfolio Management for team excellence, strategy and governance.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
Back to top