Human Factors/Usability Engineer (80 – 100%)*
- Basel, Switzerland
3! This is the maximum number of steps that a user accepts to do when using an injection device! Designing simple devices is key to our success!
To support the medical device development team we are seeking a Human Factors/Usability Engineer to lead human factors activities in developing medical devices/combination products and apps, from early concept phase through to late phase development. You will be part of multidisciplinary and international teams, spanning across multiple projects, with human factors engineering being a key element for success. Your strong communication and negotiation skills will be key to influence multiple partners. You will also act as a key advocate for human factors principles across the company.
You will provide expert input to device development projects to establish system, design, and operating requirements as well as influencing the design of packaging, labeling and the user interface.
This position may require up to 15% travel.
• Managing the Human Factors/Usability activities during the design development. This includes: user needs identification, development of user profiles and use scenarios, task analysis, use-related risk analysis, generation of hardware and software design concepts, preparing story boards, developing wire frame for apps, training requirements, user interface specification,
• Independently manage the user studies (formative and summative) to evaluate the user interface and present recommendations to optimize the design.
• Develop the Human Factors/Usability strategy for projects: plan human factors activities according to project requirements, manage external partners supporting the device development and evaluation.
• Provide Human Factors/Usability expertise in a broader cross-functional development team
• Develop and design instructions for use, design story boards, wireframe
• Support definition of internal procedures and templates for the execution of Human Factors/Usability engineering activities in compliance with both company quality assurance standards and applicable regulations.
What you'll bring to the role:
• Bachelor's or Master degree in engineering, ergonomics, psychology, human factors, usability, user interface design, industrial design/graphic design or related field.
• Excellent skills in English, verbal and written are required. Other language skills, e.g. French, German are advantageous.
• Several years of experience in applying Human Factors Engineering/Usability to medical devices development, preferably in the pharmaceutical industry - therefore you have an excellent understanding of applying Human Factors/UsabilityEngineering processes to medical device development from concept generation to health authority submission.
• Experience in developing apps, software and/or graphic design (InDesign, Adobe suite, Axure, Photoshop etc)
• Experience in project / program management
• Experience in managing user studies (performed by vendors or self-managed)
• Good understanding of the risk management activities
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
*Some restrictions on flexible working options may apply and will be discussed during interview if applicable.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here:
Back to top