Head of Structural and Biophysical Chemistry (SBC) at NIBR Emeryville
- Emeryville, CA
6000! That's the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new approaches that will help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
The existing Structure-guided Drug Discovery team in Emeryville brings together diverse skill sets in helping NIBR discovery teams investigate new drug targets, identify, characterize, and optimize modulating ligands. We are seeking a leader for our SBC group covering x-ray crystallography, cryo-EM, biophysics, and Bio-NMR capabilities. We are looking for a highly motivated scientist with background expertise in biochemistry and structural technologies combined with a good understanding in computational approaches, analytical techniques, disease-related biology, and a fundamental understanding of drug discovery. This role will not only instrumentally influence the global NIBR portfolio through major contributions but also influence the direction of our local discovery efforts at EPICenter (Emeryville Protein Interactomics Center). Working with a wide variety of multi-disciplinary scientists, you will help devise creative solutions to drug discovery problems and innovative paths to new medicines.
• Lead experienced team covering biophysical technologies, bio-NMR, X-ray crystallography, and cryo-EM to tackle challenging biological problems, including protein-protein interactions and targets considered difficult to drug.
• Facilitate medicinal chemistry design efforts through integrated knowledge of SAR, target biology, assay development, application of predictive methods for on- and off-target activity, physico-chemical properties, and pharmacology including PK/PD and use this expertise to hunt for drug opportunities.
• Maintain current knowledge of cutting-edge scientific literature and interact with internal and external scientists to integrate their knowledge into structural and mechanistic insights for potential novel opportunities.
• Collaborate with interdisciplinary project teams globally to optimally drive the NIBR portfolio and contribute by scouting and experimentally supporting novel project initiatives.
• Be part of the local and global NIBR leadership by living and supporting our Curious, Inspired and Unbossed culture at Novartis. Coach and mentor the direct team and the larger talent pool of NIBR.
• Empower our scientists and help them develop into our next generation of leaders.
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What you will bring to the role:
• Advanced degree in structural biology, biophysics, biochemistry, analytical and/or computational chemistry, or related fields. PhD is strongly preferred. Candidates should combine an experimentalist background with strong structural, biophysical, and computational experience.
• 10 plus years of experience working with project teams in a drug discovery environment, preferentially covering multi disciplines including structural biology, biochemistry, analytical technologies, biology, and computational approaches.
• Proven record of accomplishments through innovative design approaches to impact discovery and development projects.
• Familiarity with drug design tools and high-performance computing environments.
• Strong publication history in peer-reviewed journals and patent filings.
Skills and Abilities:
• Proactive in anticipating project needs with focus to unmet medical need and innovation.
• Act with rigor and diligence in substantiating ideas and designs.
• Natural leadership capabilities with team focus; ability to multitask in both support and leadership modes.
• Capability to attract and retain talent through empowerment, coaching and mentoring.
• Strong listening skills; concise and consistent written and oral communication.
• Familiar with the foundational concepts in molecular biology, pharmacology and disease biology, including screening and assay designs.
• Working knowledge of medicinal chemistry and drug discovery.
• Provide leadership for ad-hoc data analysis, visualization and statistical support throughout the organization
• Proven ability to collaborate with others, both internally and externally.
• Strong interpersonal skills and fit to Novartis culture
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
Back to top