Head of Legal
- Shanghai, China
• Lead the development and implementation of the legal strategy within Pharma China and contribute to the development of the organization's business strategy.
• Provide legal leadership on issues by providing pro-active, in-depth, business focused advice and counsel.
• Counsel senior-level executives and business teams on complex and sensitive legal and business issues, interact with other functions within Novartis to support Business Partner training and counsel non-Legal associates, and lead or contribute to both formal and informal teams in provision of legal expertise.
• Anticipate and maintains up-to-date knowledge of current laws relevant to own substantive area to provide strategic advice and foster compliance.
• Through management of the legal group, drive contract preparation, negotiation, and defense, including archival of all contractual documentation
• Limit country litigation risk exposure, including risk derived from clinical issues and employee relations, working closely with executives across Country, Regional, and Global units
• Manage a team of legal counsels, including employee selection, development, retention and engagement
• Act as China Country Legal Head: identify legal framework developments and guide the Cross-Divisional Legal group, align and promote consistency of approach in legal matters between the Divisions. Sit on China Leadership Team, define and deliver the legal performance targets on the country scorecard.
What you'll bring to the role :
The position holder directs all aspects of legal oversight for Pharma China, ensuring the provision of legal insight and documentation relevant to business development, market access, employee relations, intellectual property, litigation, corporate compliance, and all Pharma China contracting. Through direction of the legal group, provides strategic legal insight to Pharma China leaders, including identification of business opportunities based on the legal framework. Has the litigation acumen necessary to drive successful legal outcomes when the need arises, and the ability and inclination to actively shape the law through active lobbying and publishing on Pharma related legal topics.
• PRC Law Degree and LLM from overseas or top local university. Lawyer's qualification certificate in China. Pass Swiss or US bar examination or international equivalent is a plus
• Above 15 years' post qualification experience with a proven track record. Top legal firm experience is a plus
• Have strength in full range of legal counselling and management work, has strong track record of managing complex legal issues
• Knowledge of a wide variety of substantive legal disciplines, including corporation law, contract law, competition law, labor law, etc.
• Result-oriented with a high integrity. Outstanding collaborator with team player mindset
• Strong analytical skills, excellent legal research and drafting skills
• Language requirements: fluent English and Chinese
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
Back to top