Head Legal NTO Transactions
- Basel, Switzerland
70+ billion! That's the number of units Novartis Technical Operations (NTO) supplied to over 150 countries in 2019. Our 26,000+ associates from 100 different countries are working hard to build an inspired, curious and unbossed culture in which everyone is enabled to be their best. We are unleashing the power of our people and putting data and digital at the heart of a transformation that is enabling us to reach more patients, more quickly, all across the world. To support the Novartis aspiration of becoming the leading medicines company in the world, we are re-imagining manufacturing, aligning our capacity and capabilities with the changing needs of the Novartis portfolio. As our evolution continues, we are proud to provide the manufacturing technology on which many of our innovative new treatments rely and to be the organization that provides our patients with the medicines they need to live longer, healthier lives.
As our Head Legal NTO Transactions, you will support the General Counsel NTO & Group Quality NTO in any strategic projects. Leading a team of two Senior Legal Counsel associates and acting as the head lawyer for NTO, in assigned global transactions / projects in the area of Network Transformation, M&A and BD&L; ensure strategic legal advice, robust risk assessment, and effective and efficient legal support during all stages of the relevant transactions / projects, in accordance with NTO strategy, and in compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Be a member of the NTO Legal LT, supports the General Counsel NTO & Gp Quality in strategic projects and actively contributes to the design and execution of the Function's strategy.
• Acts as a pro-active, business-minded legal partner to the Network Transformation, M&A and/or BD&L NTO global support teams during planning, negotiation, execution and implementation of the relevant transactions / projects. Ensures the execution of projects in accordance with the project plan, NTO strategy and in compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.
• Represents NTO L&C as lead lawyer in all assigned projects in the area of Network Transformation (Expansion, closing, divesting of sites / outsourcing of manufacturing), M&A and/or BD&L (acquisition, divestment, in- or out-licensing), and, as required, prepares / conducts due diligences, drafts, negotiates and reviews all related agreements, and any related internal or external communication to management, employees, authorities, interested parties (bidders), suppliers or any other third party.
• Is an acknowledged expert resource for the entire NTO function in their field, and plays a key coordination role for all relevant legal and other functional experts' input to any transaction or implementation documentation.
• Manages and works with outside counsel and, when and as necessary, closely monitors and controls related legal spend.
• Manages potential disputes and dispute resolution relating to the assigned transactions / projects.
• Supports the establishment, design and implementation of clear guidelines and processes to provide optimal and timely NTO legal support for transactions / projects, while ensuring their execution and implementation in accordance with NTO strategy and in compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.
• Advises and determines appropriate actions regarding legal and compliance issues in relation to transactions / projects, including the training of lawyers and clients.
What you'll bring to the role:
• Law School Graduate & Bar member. Additional qualifications in related fields (e.g. finance, tax, regulatory, etc.) are a plus.
• Acknowledged as an expert and a resource for the legal function in the manufacturing, regulatory and transactional field with the ability to: analyze complex legal issues; lead contract negotiations of several complex projects independently; and play a key coordination role with lawyers and other functional experts, and having a minimum of:
• 10 years+ post-Bar experience, ideally gained within a healthcare / pharmaceutical environment or, alternatively, with a top-tier law firm representing healthcare clients, of which, 5 years of that experience was in leading complex legal transactions, restructuring and outsourcing projects.
• Able to set priorities and to lead a wide-ranging workload under time and organizational pressure, often involving multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent team player with strong verbal and written communication skills.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
Back to top