Global Head, Cardiovascular Metabolism Translational Medicine
- Cambridge, MA
#1 cause of death globally, is Cardiovascular Diseases, according to the World Health Organization. At Novartis, we focus on developing new treatment options for people living with serious cardio-metabolic diseases.
The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the innovation engine of Novartis. We collaborate across scientific and organization boundaries, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs from patients. Translational Medicine (TM) is the clinical research arm of NIBR, and includes about 900 associates globally. TM plays a pivotal role in bringing innovative medicines to patients, by building on research advances to develop new therapies, and bridging drug discovery and clinical application.
TM Discovery & Profiling (TMDP) is a group of physicians and clinical researchers who drive that innovative science from discovery to the patient through the selection, profiling, and effective development of medicines. Translational Medicine Experts (TME's) oversee Phase 1 and 2 clinical trials to demonstrate proof of concept in patients, creating the case for drugs to proceed to late-stage development and registration. TME's are also responsible for Phase 3 clinical pharmacology and mechanistic studies. Overall, TM and NIBR deliver about half of the final drug dossier or label information.
As the Global Head, CVM TM, you will lead a team of TME's responsible for all early clinical development plans and studies through Proof of Concept, new disease indications, translational research and profiling activities, and clinical pharmacology studies for the Cardiovascular Metabolism Therapeutic Area. You will be a member of the global Translational Medicine Leadership Team, accountable for overall department goals, helping to lead continuous improvement across the department, and enhancing the culture of TM. You will also be a key bridge between CVM Research and late phase development and commercial colleagues across the Cardio-Renal-Metabolic Franchise in Novartis.
Your major accountabilities will be to:
• Set, communicate and drive strategy for the CVM Translational Medicine Therapeutic Area in alignment with the broader organization
• Be accountable for setting the biomarker strategy for your group
• Prioritize and allocate resources across the team to meet portfolio needs
• Co-chair the Disease Area Decision Board with the Research Disease Area Head to decide on targets, compounds, and indications to progress from preclinical ideas to clinical testing
• Deliver clear human Proof-of-Concept study outcomes for decisions on new compounds
• Collaborate with Development colleagues to agree on Proof-of-Concept criteria and indications and on Development Decision Point criteria
• Support Translational Medicine Experts on Development teams after Proof-of-Concept to deliver clinical pharmacology and mechanistic studies
• Bring relevant internal and external opinion leaders together to consider the proposed approach to Clinical Proof-of-Concept
• Ensure seamless collaboration across Research, Translational Medicine, Development, and other relevant line functions in the development of drug candidates. Work closely and effectively with other TA TM Heads to foster collaborations and lead to cross-DA indication expansion PoC opportunities
• Foster strong external clinical collaborations to maintain state of the art clinical approaches
• Contribute senior level expertise to Strategic Alliances, Business Development and Licensing due diligence reviews for inlicensing and outlicensing opportunities
• Provide or review Translational Medicine input to meetings and interactions with Health Authorities
• Develop talent pipeline through recruitment activities and being a mentor, coach, and educational resource across Novartis responsible for quality of clinical protocols, study reports and submission documents
• Travel: approximately 4 x 1-week trips per year to Cambridge, USA or Basel, CH (as applicable), plus other shorter duration international meetings as required; approximately two internal offsite meetings per year
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What you will bring to this role:
Education: • MD or MD/PhD, or MD with doctoral thesis in relevant field
• Subspecialty clinical training in Cardiology (strongly preferred) or related subspecialty with appropriate Board Certification(s)
Languages: • Fluent English, strong written and oral communication skills
Experience: • Leadership position in pharmaceutical/biotech industry or academic medical center combining scientific and medical subspecialty skills, maintaining state-of-the-art clinical approaches and inspiring a culture of continuous improvement, innovation and quality
• Significant clinical experience with patients with Cardiovascular/Metabolic diseases
• Direct basic science expertise within Cardiovascular/Metabolic diseases: accomplished independent basic investigator, recognized in your field through peer-reviewed grant funding, publications and congresses
• Strategic thinker, used to creating major innovations, networking with leading investigators, presenting complex strategic issues in a clear and logical way and driving impactful outcomes
• Natural ability to manage people, and lead leaders of others; able to provide mentoring at the highest levels including those outside of your own scientific/clinical expertise
• Used to successfully supporting and impacting experts, scientists and project deliveries across many functions of Research or Development / equivalent
• Strong program manager: excellent planning, prioritisation, problem solving and organisational skills
• A creative and innovative approach with a sharp and objective intellect
• Strong cooperative team player, used to being flexible and adapting to a changing environment
• Resilient, energetic and enthusiastic; responding constructively to challenging new ideas and inputs
Why Consider Novartis?
Nearly one billion. That is how many lives our medicines touched in 2019. Moreover, while we are proud of that fact, in our current world of digital and technological transformation, we must ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improved and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are empowered to ask new questions, make bolder decisions and take smarter risks.
We are Novartis. Join us and reimagine medicine
Back to top