Director, Pharma Counsel - Managed Markets/Value Access (Oncology)
- East Hanover, NJ
The Director, Pharmaceutical Counsel will provide proactive, solution oriented, legal analysis and advice to management and key decision makers in the US Oncology business (OBU) of Novartis.
More specifically, you will manage the following:
• Legal Counsel/Leadership - Provide Legal analysis and advice to assigned business partners in OBU on broad range of legal matters across entire Oncology business in order to inform business partners of risks and help identify appropriate path forward in complex and evolving legal and regulatory environment. For example,
o Understand and actively provide legal analysis and advice related to new and existing strategies
o Exercise judgment calls during times of ambiguity
o Proactively stay abreast of latest development in key areas of Legal expertise that have an impact on current and long term profitability of the company
• Contract Review - Review, draft and negotiate a wide range of agreements supporting commercial, medical and other activities.
• Regulatory/Promotional Materials Review - Partner with commercial, regulatory, and medical colleagues to ensure timely review of proposed activities and materials. Contribute actively to the review team by evaluating potential risk and providing counsel. Ensure coordination with other legal associates supporting specific brands to ensure consistency.
• Risk Management/Compliance - Partner with Ethics and Compliance to proactively identify and manage potential compliance risk. Ensure compliance with all government regulations and mandates. Contribute to investigations as needed to address potential compliance concerns.
• Functional Leadership - Actively contribute to Legal Function through participation in initiatives to build departmental knowledge and capabilities by sharing best practices. Partner with colleagues to contribute expertise as needed
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What you'll bring to the role:
• Juris Doctor or equivalent Legal doctorate degree
• 6 +years of legal practice
• 3+ years of related experience in legal counseling role specifically related to pharmaceuticals in industry or major law firm
• Significant experience in commercial contracting, including drafting, reviewing and advising business partners on complex agreements
• Familiarity with FDA regulations and requirements affecting commercial and medical activities, anti-kickback and anti-trust.
• Strong business acumen and understanding of the pharmaceutical business and related legal issues
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
• High level of maturity, presence, and discretion in handling of sensitive and confidential information
• Strong negotiation skills
• Strong analytical and organizational skills
• Ability to manage and influence across a cross-functional matrix organization
• Demonstrated ability to work in fast-paced complex environment
• Up to 10% travel required
Why consider Novartis?
750 million. That's how many lives our products touch.
And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
Back to top