Data Scientist – Protein Sciences
- Cambridge, MA
127! That's the number of drug discovery projects impacted this year by protein science data at Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research.
Are you a curious and inspired Data Scientist passionate about bringing protein science data to the next level of informing and impacting drug discovery projects? Do you like working in cross-functional and multidisciplinary teams? Do you enjoy transforming scientific challenges into computational solutions to catalyze efficiency in data-driven drug discovery? As a team member of a global Data Science group with expertise in protein data science, data engineering, computational biology, bioinformatics, screening analytics and predictive modelling this is a unique opportunity waiting for you to leverage protein science data at scale.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engage in an interdisciplinary environment with structural biologists, biophysicists, protein chemists, proteomic scientists and molecular modelers to advance structure-based drug discovery using innovative computational approaches.
- Champion data stewardship in protein crystallography, biomolecular NMR, cryo-EM and biophysics to enable predictive science.
- Design and implement robust applications, methods and end-to-end analysis workflows for automated data processing, quality control and publishing.
- Exploit and integrate internal and external protein data sources to generate drug discovery impact.
- Ideate and proto-type tailored visualizations and webservices for data dissemination across the organization.
- Mentor scientists who are developing their computational skills.
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What You'll Bring to the Role:
- PhD, or equivalent years of experience in structural biology, bioinformatics, cheminformatics, computational biology, molecular modeling or related scientific domain.
- Demonstrated experience with scripting languages (Python, R) and high-performance computing frameworks on Linux platforms.
- An agile engineering mentality.
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL.
- High learning agility, solution-oriented approach, looking to make a difference.
- Superb communication skills and proficiency in written and oral English.
- Ability to engineer protein science data for end-to-end enabling solutions.
- An understanding of the processes behind lead discovery and structure-based drug design.
- Experience with advanced machine learning techniques.
Why Consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine What You Could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Back to top